As Per Twitter, Champ Bailey is in

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Re: As Per Twitter, Champ Bailey is in

Post by bachslunch »

Good class. Least excited about Bowlen, but generally fine with everyone.

Especially happy for Robinson, still alive to enjoy this — way overdue for him. Glad the two contributors are around as well.

Good to clear both Law and Bailey off the table. Glad they at least got one OL through, though a little surprised it was Mawae.

Anybody know the cutdown group from 15 to 10?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

The first cut to 10 eliminated receiver Isaac Bruce, coach Don Coryell, coach Tom Flores, safety John Lynch, and defensive lineman Richard Seymour.

The second cut to five knocked off safety Steve Atwater, offensive tackle Tony Boselli, guard Alan Faneca, guard Steve Hutchinson, and running back Edgerrin James.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Gonzalez and Reed were shoo ins.

Happy with Law and Robinson!

Mawae over Hutch is terrible.

Was Brandt more impactful than Coryell? Not IMO.

Bailey was obligatory.

No disrespect, but Pat Bowlen might be the worst selection ever. At least Bert Bell was a commissioner. I don't get it.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote:Gonzalez and Reed were shoo ins.

Happy with Law and Robinson!

Mawae over Hutch is terrible.

Was Brandt more impactful than Coryell? Not IMO.

Bailey was obligatory.

No disrespect, but Pat Bowlen might be the worst selection ever. At least Bert Bell was a commissioner. I don't get it.
Bowlen, Jones and DeBartolo all rank high in: https://yourteamcheats.com/

Ermal Allen was the real genius in the Cowboys system, Brandt did contracts and stuff, but the scouting and organizing and computerizing was overseen by Brandt (and Schramm) but Allen was the "Ernie Adams".

Mawae, agreed, 4th of the 4 linemen. But I had heard it was coming. Hutch best, Boselli next. Faneca 3rd then a gap and then Mawae
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Just out of curiosity what are you basing your ranking of hutchinson on john
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

I don't like having two obligatory builders selections. It takes away from inducting more deserving senior players who have been passed by for too long.

Champ Bailey may have been great in his prime but I saw him get thrown at and beat a lot in his last few years. Hutch should have gone in instead.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Does hutch belong yes does he belong over bailey no
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote:Just out of curiosity what are you basing your ranking of hutchinson on john
My impressions of seeing them play combined with the grades of Pro Scout Inc
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

JohnH19 wrote:Champ Bailey may have been great in his prime but I saw him get thrown at and beat a lot in his last few years. Hutch should have gone in instead.
Yeah, that's true.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Almost predicted it right — just missed on Law instead of Boselli. Better than last time.

It’s interesting that Atwater made the first cutdown to 10 while Lynch didn’t. That’s a good thing, though, as Atwater’s last eligible year is 2024 and Lynch’s is 2032. The clock is ticking faster on the former.

Will say, with Troy Polamalu the only viable HoFer eligible next year, it should be a good catch-up chance for many in the queue. My guess is that Polamalu is elected first ballot. We might also see Edgerrin James, Atwater, and a couple linemen make it in, maybe Boselli and Hutchinson. Fine by me.

Not many good Contributors left: Art McNally, George Young, Steve Sabol, and Robert Kraft probably are the best options with a chance to get nominated. Would be nice to see someone like Ralph Hay get a shot, but not betting the rent on it.