William Andrews

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Halas Hall

William Andrews

Post by Halas Hall »

Is former Atlanta Falcon running back William Andrews a viable candidate for the Hall of the Very Good or did he just not play enough games? Before his knee injury in the 1984 preseason, he was a terrific player from 1979 - 1983.

Just wondering, Thank you.
Gary Najman

Re: William Andrews

Post by Gary Najman »

Andrews was one of my favorite players of that time, and I believe he should be on our HOVG (he could had a HOF career if he stayed healthy). I alwyas wondered why he was drafted by the Falcons after James Mayberry, another 3rd-rounder RB who only contributed on special teams (remeber the INT for TD in OT at New Orleans in the opnening game after a Russell Erxleben bad throw on a botched snap?) and why the Falcons drafted Gerald Riggs three years later with the Falcons having Andrews and Lynn Cain (another good RB drafted in 1979)?
Last edited by Gary Najman on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I also remember Andrews and those early 80's Falcons teams.
1980 especially (ranked 5th in offense and defense) was a favorite.

So, of course, I would consider voting for Andrews if he came up on a HoVG ballot.
It would depend on who else was on the ballot but I believe he might have a decent chance,

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... drWi00.htm
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Andrews was on his way to a Hall of Fame Career. He was a workhorse too...great receiver out of the backfield which is not something you see often from bruising backs. It was really stunning at how Ronnie Lott crumbled as if he hit a brick wall when trying to tackle him. Andrews didn't really have a full head of steam either. He just slowed up and brushed him off
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

I liked Andrews and that whole Atlanta offense. Yes, by all means, nominate him next time around!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I agree. Nominate him next year. We will surely give him a worthy look.