Makeup class of 17

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JohnTurney

Makeup class of 17

Post by JohnTurney »

Nothing is decided but I hear that there would be a regular class of 5-8, however that turns out and then a Class of 17, the same size as the original class, It would have some similarity in makeup to the Class of 1963 with some owners and coaches and maybe 10-12 players.
bachslunch

Re: Makeup class of 17

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:Nothing is decided but I hear that there would be a regular class of 5-8, however that turns out and then a Class of 17, the same size as the original class, It would have some similarity in makeup to the Class of 1963 with some owners and coaches and maybe 10-12 players.
I think this is a wonderful idea, and I’m so glad the HoF is seriously considering this. A class of 17 separate from the usual number of inductees would really go a long way towards clearing out the Senior backlog.

Interesting question: who would you like to see as the 17 inductees? Presumably, these would all be from the Senior backlog. If so:

Lavvie Dilweg
Duke Slater
Verne Lewellen
Ox Emerson
Al Wistert
Mac Speedie
Billy Howton
Bobby Dillon
Maxie Baughan
Del Shofner
Jim Tyrer
Chuck Howley
Ken Anderson
Cliff Harris
Drew Pearson
Randy Gradishar
Harold Jackson

Have managed to get all the post-40s players from the living except Tyrer, who is extremely deserving and likely isn’t getting except via an option like this.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

Also gotta say that I don’t see lots in the way of owners or coaches who need honoring at this point.

The best head coaches not in now would probably be folks like Buddy Parker, George Seifert, Don Coryell, or Jimmy Johnson, and I wouldn’t lose sleep if none of them got in. Maybe assistants like Clark Shaughnessy or Buddy Ryan might be considered.

Owners? Maybe Ralph Hay, Robert Kraft. Other Contributors make more sense like Art McNally, George Young, or (maybe) Bucko Kilroy.

If they decide on 17 honorees, they really should be players, am thinking. That’s where the biggest backlog problem is.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote:Also gotta say that I don’t see lots in the way of owners or coaches who need honoring at this point.

The best head coaches not in now would probably be folks like Buddy Parker, George Seifert, Don Coryell, or Jimmy Johnson, and I wouldn’t lose sleep if none of them got in. Maybe assistants like Clark Shaughnessy or Buddy Ryan might be considered.

Owners? Maybe Ralph Hay, Robert Kraft. Other Contributors make more sense like Art McNally, George Young, or (maybe) Bucko Kilroy.

If they decide on 17 honorees, they really should be players, am thinking. That’s where the biggest backlog problem is.
agree. in fact, I'd keep things to pre-merger or pre-NFL

Lavvie Dilweg
Duke Slater
Verne Lewellen
Ox Emerson
Al Wistert
Mac Speedie
Billy Howton
Bobby Dillon
Maxie Baughan
Del Shofner
Jim Tyrer
Chuck Howley
Dick Barwegen
Clark Shaughnessy
Buddy Parker
Ralph Hay

something like that ...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Agreed with John and bach.
If they enshrine long-deserving seniors whom time forgot then I am all for it!!!

If they put in a bunch of second tier, recently retired players/coaches/owners then it is just cheapening the fine folks already enshrined.

Personally, I think anyone they choose should have to be from the Hall of (the) Very Good!
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I'll be really disappointed if they have around 17 players, yet still choose 1 or more likely none from the 20s and 30s, but I could totally see it happening. Isn't it more likely the list looks like this than has Slater, Dilweg, etc:

1 Chuck Howley
2 Ken Anderson
3 Cliff Harris
4 Drew Pearson
5 Randy Gradishar
6 LC Greenwood
7 Harvey Martin
8 Jim Marshall
9 Rosey Grier
10 Al "Bubba" Baker
11 Donnie Shell
12 Everson Walls
13 Lester Hayes
14 Coy Bacon
15 Alex Karras
16 Cliff Branch
17 Nolan Cromwell
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I'll be really disappointed if they have around 17 players, yet still choose 1 or more likely none from the 20s and 30s, but I could totally see it happening. Isn't it more likely the list looks like this than has Slater, Dilweg, etc:

1 Chuck Howley
2 Ken Anderson
3 Cliff Harris
4 Drew Pearson
5 Randy Gradishar
6 LC Greenwood
7 Harvey Martin
8 Jim Marshall
9 Rosey Grier
10 Al "Bubba" Baker
11 Donnie Shell
12 Everson Walls
13 Lester Hayes
14 Coy Bacon
15 Alex Karras
16 Cliff Branch
17 Nolan Cromwell
Certainly possible. And I’m sure there’ll be a few enshrined I don’t agree with.

Interestingly enough, I think many of your suggestions belong in. I’m a “no” on Martin, Marshall, Grier, Baker, Walls, and Bacon, but fine with the rest. But whether these folks are the biggest priority is another question.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

bachslunch wrote: Certainly possible. And I’m sure there’ll be a few enshrined I don’t agree with.

Interestingly enough, I think many of your suggestions belong in. I’m a “no” on Martin, Marshall, Grier, Baker, Walls, and Bacon, but fine with the rest. But whether these folks are the biggest priority is another question.
I actually came up with the list by combining some of the more modern players on your list with the snubs mentioned on another board I go to, so I figured it wouldn't be terrible - in fact that's kind of the point - its probably possible to come up with 17 that most folks would be fine with except a couple quibles and have no one on the list that suited up prior to the 50s or even later (80s players wouldn't surprise me - Browner, Cherry, etc.). The overall vibe I get when this topic comes up is the number of people (likely including voters - John T. has a good blog post on how fans/voters tend to reason v. how they should) who think about the early history is pretty minuscule - most people want players they saw in their lifetime and players from their team.

P.S. This is neither here nor there, but compiler or not, I think Marshall is a shoe in, seems like he has the support just judging by the number of times I see his name come up.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:
bachslunch wrote:P.S. This is neither here nor there, but compiler or not, I think Marshall is a shoe in, seems like he has the support just judging by the number of times I see his name come up.
Not sure on that, actually. His name does come up a lot with Vikes fans and with casual fans. But he did have a chance in the room and went nowhere, plus I'm not sure the HoF voters are fooled on him.

I could be wrong, of course, but my guess is he's not getting in. He certainly doesn't belong, that's for certain.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Just hope it doesn't turn into a cluster, that's all. one that picks 4-5 old timers and all the rest from the 70s-80s-90s.