Makeup class of 17

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
bachslunch

Re: Makeup class of 17

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:I will add that the voting in as a group would allow (in theory) someone like a Paul Tagliabue to get in because to kill his nomination would be to kill the whole group. Not saying this was designed that way but it's clever if it was.

Also, here is another possible "lock", of course no one is a lock, but let's say the cards are stacked to really help: Ken Riley. Dick LeBeau is on the Blue Ribbon committee and he has the gravitas to push Riley through. He will surely use the "All-Pros and Pro Bowls are popularity contests and don't mean anything" argument for Riley. He will ride the 1 All-Pro, 2 2nd team All-Pros and 65 picks in HOF, I am betting. Of course, no one will be there to stand up to that or give him the Proscout data of never being "blue" or even "red" from 1975-on.

LeBeau coached Riley in Cincy----and that will be a big boost...
Is LeBeau on the Blue Ribbon Committee, or this a hypothetical situation? If he is on the committee, you’re probably right. Unfortunately.

Of course, if Riley is the only bad choice voted in, and we otherwise get Dilweg, Slater, Emerson, Wistert, and a bunch of other true worthies, I can hold my nose and accept it. The price of doing business, sorry to say. The chances of getting 10 great choices is low; there will likely be a couple stinkers mixed in. But Riley would be a truly awful HoF choice, maybe even worse than Floyd Little. Oh well.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

bachslunch wrote: Is LeBeau on the Blue Ribbon Committee, or this a hypothetical situation? If he is on the committee, you’re probably right. Unfortunately.
call it a strong hunch.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

With Cliff Branch passing away, sadly, his chances of getting in HOF likely went up
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

The HOF could truly destroy any credibility in this process by adding a "fan's vote" component to it. I don't expect that, but I certainly wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

JohnTurney wrote:With Cliff Branch passing away, sadly, his chances of getting in HOF likely went up
Branch is at least a good option to induct, though there are better WR choices out there. The problem, of course, is that there are loads of deserving — and living — WRs not in, some far older than Branch was: Del Shofner and Billy Howton are the most notable examples. It would be nice to get them elected instead, but I’m not optimistic here.
bachslunch

Post by bachslunch »

BD Sullivan wrote:The HOF could truly destroy any credibility in this process by adding a "fan's vote" component to it. I don't expect that, but I certainly wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.
Agreed. I’m already less than thrilled with the possible membership of the Blue Ribbon Panel. Though there’s a way to include the public and make it meaningless — make the vote count for one candidate only and include it as one of 26 votes. It’ll be so diluted in the process that it essentially won’t count, but will give the illusion of meaningful participation.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
bachslunch wrote:First reaction is that it’s going to be really tough to come up with 10 Contributors and 8 Coaches who are deserving for the preliminary group. Should be really easy to draw up a list of 20 deserving Seniors, though.

Anybody want to guess who will make up the preliminary group? Might take a crack at it later.
For Contributor, I think Steve Sabol is a slam dunk. Ed Sabol might have started NFL Films, but Steve Sabol was the always the heart (and for about 40 years, the face) of NFL Films.
You would think that Steve Sabol is a slam dunk, but I am not so sure. I have had a few HOF selectors tell me that since Ed Sabol is in, selectors may be hesitant to put in Steve for essentially doing the same thing as his father (and how much of it was Steve versus Ed?). Now, I do not agree with it, but that sentiment is out there among the people who actually have a say in who gets in.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Ken Crippen wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
bachslunch wrote:First reaction is that it’s going to be really tough to come up with 10 Contributors and 8 Coaches who are deserving for the preliminary group. Should be really easy to draw up a list of 20 deserving Seniors, though.

Anybody want to guess who will make up the preliminary group? Might take a crack at it later.
For Contributor, I think Steve Sabol is a slam dunk. Ed Sabol might have started NFL Films, but Steve Sabol was the always the heart (and for about 40 years, the face) of NFL Films.
You would think that Steve Sabol is a slam dunk, but I am not so sure. I have had a few HOF selectors tell me that since Ed Sabol is in, selectors may be hesitant to put in Steve for essentially doing the same thing as his father (and how much of it was Steve versus Ed?). Now, I do not agree with it, but that sentiment is out there among the people who actually have a say in who gets in.
I, unfortunately, tend to agree. I see Tom Benson having more of a chance (for rebuilding Fawcett Stadium, and for "saving football in New Orleans" after Hurricane Katrina) and Paul Tagliabue, and of course, other owners like Jerry Richardson (for bringing the NFL to the Carolinas) that Steve Sabol or Art McNally.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

a fan vote would be a bad idea that being said i do believe that the pfra should ask to be a part of the special panel to evaluate candidates
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Plenty of NFL owners kissed Modell's you-know-what AFTER the move, so they may make a push to get him in this way. it's clear if the "death bonus" didn't get him in 4-5 months after he cashed it in, he won't get in any other way. Plus, a few owners used a Modell-like threat to get their own stadiums, so this would be their way to pay him back.

How many former finalists (from the first 40-50 years are still on the outside looking in?