Colts without Andrew Luck

lastcat3

Colts without Andrew Luck

Post by lastcat3 »

Well will the 2019 Colts suffer the same fate that they did in 2011 (first year they tired to play without Manning). Do the Colts this year have a little better supporting cast around their Hall of Fame caliber quarterback to where they can avoid falling off a cliff or is it basically the same situation?
slats7

Re: Colts without Andrew Luck

Post by slats7 »

I don't see them intentionally tanking for Tua or Herbert. Lawrence, yes, but not those two guys. They had enough talent to make the divisional round last year and Brissett is serviceable, so I doubt that a massive reversal is on the horizon.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

slats7 wrote:I don't see them intentionally tanking for Tua or Herbert. Lawrence, yes, but not those two guys. They had enough talent to make the divisional round last year and Brissett is serviceable, so I doubt that a massive reversal is on the horizon.
Oh were the 2011 Colts trying to get that #1 draft pick in order to get Luck?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I think there is enough young talent on the o-line and defense to prevent a 2011 style free fall. 6-10 or 7-9 this year. 8-8 if everything goes perfectly.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I think there is enough young talent on the o-line and defense to prevent a 2011 style free fall. 6-10 or 7-9 this year. 8-8 if everything goes perfectly.
The AFC South is too competitive that the Colts can't possibly win the division without an above average quarterback in 2019. I think Jacksonville will improve in 2019, maybe finish .500, and Tennessee will stay around the fringes of the playoff hunt again this year. Houston will have to replace Lamar Miller, and I'm sure they'll find somebody to take over for him. Even without Miller, the Texans are still the class of the division, but they'll sign Jay Ajayi or somebody who will carry the load and the Texans should win the division again. I'm guessing a last place finish, 5-11 or 6-10 for the Colts.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Andrew Luck reminds me of Bert Jones in a lot of ways. Both replaced Colt legends, both guided average to below average Colt teams to the playoffs three years in a row, and both had their careers derailed because of injury.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

The Colts haven't mailed it in this season. Injuries have killed them.

With Brissett under center, Indy is promising when fully healthy with Doyle, Hilton, and Marlon Mack. I think their playoff chances have taken a hit and they will need some serious help to get back into the race.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

sluggermatt15 wrote:The Colts haven't mailed it in this season. Injuries have killed them.
Injuries haven't helped but if they didn't have the worst kicker in the league they'd likely be tied for first place in their division.

And if the unit as a whole didn't botch things (bad hold earlier this year, FG getting blocked yesterday) they'd possibly be alone in first place in their division.

Even with injuries every unit on the Colts has played well enough to be at the top of their division heading into the stretch, except for the FG/PAT unit -- primarily the kicker.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I've been impressed with Brissett (good find by New England, not someone who was mentioned at all coming into that draft. Sort of an afterthought) He's tough, intelligent...obviously a bit physically limited. Not very nimble. But a competent starter. Doesn't strike me as someone to get a team to the promised land though but stranger things have happened

Indy deserves a ton of credit. McDaniels left them at the altar leaving them in turmoil. Then Lucks surprise retirement. And they continue to soldier on as a respectable competitive franchise
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Let's give Frank Reich some credit.
After being dumped by McDaniels, Reich appeared to be a consolation prize.
But he has done a very good job with an injury riddled team.

I would say the future might be bright for the Colts.