How do you count All-Pros?

Bob Gill

Re: How do you count All-Pros?

Post by Bob Gill »

I think the New York Daily News teams were excellent. For my money, they're major all the way.
JohnTurney

Re: How do you count All-Pros?

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Gill wrote:I think the New York Daily News teams were excellent. For my money, they're major all the way.
I think they were excellent, too. That was one of my few contributions to the Total Football enclyclopedia . . . was able
to get those (via interlibrary loan) on microfilm and to Bob Carroll. I'd filled in a few second-teams he didn't have and a couple
here or there he didn't have but the main thing was the NYDN, so I am with you on being a fan of them.

By major, I mean, in the NFL Record and Fact Book - the sense that they were ever in there. So, that is a difference
and worth a discussion.

It seems they get zero traction outside a small community like ours . . . PFR got them from total football but
I don't often see them referred to, maybe not as much as they should.

But they do lack the imprimatur of ever being in the NFLR&FB - and maybe that does not even matter, it may be
a distinction without a difference - but it was always something that separated the AP, UPI, NEW, PFWA from the
PFW, NYDN, early SNs of the world.