Damon Allen vs. Marcus Allen

JohnH19

Re: Damon Allen vs. Marcus Allen

Post by JohnH19 »

JameisLoseston wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:Russ Jackson, Ron Lancaster, Doug Flutie and probably Anthony Calvillo. Honorable mention to Sam Etcheverry, Dieter Brock, Warren Moon, Damon Allen and Matt Dunigan. I may be forgetting one or two greats. Bo Levi Mitchell has had the best career of the currently active QBs but has had injuries the last couple of seasons resulting in diminished effectiveness.
I checked all of these guys. I might legitimately rank Lancaster last on this list. In any case, Moon, Allen, and Etcheverry are miles his superior. 396 interceptions, holy fudge. I think the early era spot is between Etcheverry and Jackson; I would love to see more data with which to judge who is more deserving, but both impress me enough at a first glance.
Don’t judge Lancaster by his stats. He was truly great and belongs on the mountain. Similar to the NFL and AFL, it was an era where QBs threw riskier passes downfield and interception totals were much higher than in later years.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

But he threw over 100 more interceptions than the second highest guy. Yes, that's because he played long enough to accrue all that. But say we forgive him some of the turnovers. Where are the big seasons? Etcheverry had 4723 passing yards in fricking 1956. He turned the ball over plenty too, but the massive amount of production he supplied for the time more than made up for it. Jackson didn't have to worry about that to begin with, he has a career passer rating over 90. Lancaster looks like a compiler with a career rating of 72.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnH19 wrote:
RichardBak wrote:Generally, Canadians are easy-going and friendly folks, so it's easy to overlook the fact that our neighbors to the north were a bit inhospitable to black players back then.

That’s an inaccurate generalization. Cookie’s difficulties were an exception to the typical situation for black athletes in Canada. As you know, he was a confrontational man who often created problematic situations for himself throughout his life. Black players in that era generally found life up here a breeze compared to what they had to endure in many areas of the US. Many CFL players through the decades have chosen to remain here when their careers ended.
Cookie wrote extensively about his Canadian experience in his book. Though he complains in a couple of instances about his team putting white players in so that they could score touchdowns instead of him (something of an odd claim considering Cookie was also a kicker and led the league in scoring a couple of times because of that) Cookie repeatedly states that the treatment in Canada was significantly better than what the USA had to offer. Cookie also married a Canadian woman who was white, as did Art Powell during his time in Canada. Something that would have been far more difficult if if not impossible for a black football player in the USA during the 1950s.

There is also a chapter on the CFL Hall Of Fame issue. In that instance, Cookie is critical of the race issue, somewhat at odds to the lengthy text on his CFL days. He also resented treatment from former league personnel still involved with the CFL when this issue came up. Years later, when Cookie was dying, he wanted to be considered again by the CFL HOF, first demanding that he be allowed to sell his own items in their gift shop, then dropping all demands. By that time the CFL HOF had lost interest in inducting him.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

Oh yeah, we're forgetting all about Jackie Parker, the Sammy Baugh of the North, who might belong above all these guys. He was far inferior as a passer to Etcheverry, Jackson, or Lancaster, but I literally can't figure out anything he didn't do. Pass, run, catch, kick, punt, return, defense... the closest thing to a positionless football player in history.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great history lesson on CFL QBs, guys ...

Though he won five Grey Cup Championships with Edmonton, Moon was a backup for his first two right ? Did any other CFL QB win four championships as starter ?

Though a great player and thrower in both leagues, I truly feel that with his losing record as starter in the NFL and a terrible pct on the road, Moon is a very questionable, if not deserving member of the HOF, IMO ...
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I've had interest in the CFL since the early 1970s when street & smith's would have brief previews of each team in the back of their preseason annuals. While there is certainly an argument for each of the names mentioned i'd rank them Flutie, Allen, Jackson, Moon, Etchevery, Cavillo, Lancaster, Dunigan, Ham, Ray. Flutie didn't play too many years up there but his impact was tremendous
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:I've had interest in the CFL since the early 1970s when street & smith's would have brief previews of each team in the back of their preseason annuals. While there is certainly an argument for each of the names mentioned i'd rank them Flutie, Allen, Jackson, Moon, Etchevery, Cavillo, Lancaster, Dunigan, Ham, Ray. Flutie didn't play too many years up there but his impact was tremendous
This is an awesome list! I would say that Flutie and Allen are on their own level, and then the next 4 or 5 form the next tier, Lancaster is probably the top of tier 3.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Being a champion QB in Canada was Lancaster more like Brett Favre as a thrower or Vinny Testaverde ?
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Jay Z wrote:
Cookie wrote extensively about his Canadian experience in his book. Though he complains in a couple of instances about his team putting white players in so that they could score touchdowns instead of him (something of an odd claim considering Cookie was also a kicker and led the league in scoring a couple of times because of that) Cookie repeatedly states that the treatment in Canada was significantly better than what the USA had to offer. Cookie also married a Canadian woman who was white, as did Art Powell during his time in Canada. Something that would have been far more difficult if if not impossible for a black football player in the USA during the 1950s.

There is also a chapter on the CFL Hall Of Fame issue. In that instance, Cookie is critical of the race issue, somewhat at odds to the lengthy text on his CFL days. He also resented treatment from former league personnel still involved with the CFL when this issue came up. Years later, when Cookie was dying, he wanted to be considered again by the CFL HOF, first demanding that he be allowed to sell his own items in their gift shop, then dropping all demands. By that time the CFL HOF had lost interest in inducting him.
Thanks Jay Z for posting this. I never knew that Cookie's sentiments had changed regarding the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. Sounds like this is one book I need to read.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Brian wolf wrote:Great history lesson on CFL QBs, guys ...

Though he won five Grey Cup Championships with Edmonton, Moon was a backup for his first two right ? Did any other CFL QB win four championships as starter ?

Though a great player and thrower in both leagues, I truly feel that with his losing record as starter in the NFL and a terrible pct on the road, Moon is a very questionable, if not deserving member of the HOF, IMO ...
Warren Moon was a back-up to Tom Wilkinson in the 1978 & 1979 Grey Cup games. He started for Edmonton in the next three. Here are his Grey Cup passing stats:

1978 - No passes attempted

1979 - 5/11 for 96 yards with 1 TD pass and 0 INT

1980 - 21/33 for 398 yards with 3 TD passes and 1 INT
(named MVP on Offence)

1981 -13/27 for 181 yards with 0 TD passes and 3 INT's
Also had 2 TD's rushing

1982 - 21/33 for 319 yards with 2 TD's passing and 1 INT
(named MVP on Offence)

I think Warren Moon was probably the most talented CFL QB of all-time. However, it did suprise me to learn that Bum Phillips experienced more NFL post-season wins than Moon.

Ricky Ray is the only CFL quarterback to start and win 4 Grey Cups (2003, 2005, 2012 and 2017). Damon Allen won 4 but his 1987 performance was in relief of Matt Dunnigan.

Really enjoying this thread!