Bryant Young HoF

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Gary Najman

Re: Bryant Young HoF

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
Andy Piascik wrote:I don't think Young belongs anywhere near the Hall of Fame. His candidacy is yet one more example of the Selection Committee being overly enamored of the all-decade teams, as Young was named second team on the 1990s squad. What makes it worse is that he didn't deserve it, Michael Dean Perry did. Just check and compare what they did in the 1990s.
The all-decade teams are more trouble than they are worth. I used to think they were interesting because some decades had very odd choices for "all-decade" honors, but it seems like now they have become an almost irrefutable argument for enshrinement in the HOF. It's almost like the voters are too lazy to actually do a comparative analysis of a player's career, and instead they fall back on "all decade" crap. First, the all-decade selections themselves are questionable. Second, the idea of "all-decade" is a completely arbitrary timeframe. I remember media people mentioning this when Drew Pearson was up for enshrinement; it was like "Pearson is the only guy on the 1970's all-decade team who isn't in Canton"...who cares? How is that even a salient point?
I agree, and even that I'm a Cowboys fan and Pearson was one of my favorites players growing up, I still think Harold Jackson is way more deserving of the all-70s teams and the HOF.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

I agree about Young (and Sapp) on the decade teams

there is needed a mid-decade team, too

But with Bryan Young probably getting in HOF it is a good stepping stone to teach people how great MD Perry is

This should be positive. Seymour and Young getting in (likely)---is a step forward for "non-sack" guys
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

JohnTurney wrote:I agree about Young (and Sapp) on the decade teams

there is needed a mid-decade team, too

But with Bryan Young probably getting in HOF it is a good stepping stone to teach people how great MD Perry is

This should be positive. Seymour and Young getting in (likely)---is a step forward for "non-sack" guys
What do you feel the odds of Young becoming elected?

Seymour has to be higher ranked than Young.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

sluggermatt15 wrote: What do you feel the odds of Young becoming elected?
my feelings are 100%
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

I wish I could share your optimism, John. One big problem is that Perry is now in the Senior swamp and he goes behind Wistert, Dilweg, Barwegan, Gradishar, Jim Ray Smith and others. I'd say his chances of getting elected are now slim and none. He deserved better and I say again he's definitely more deserving than Young. It brings to mind Claude Humphrey, who got bypassed in his final year of regular eligibility and then got elected the very next year as a Senior. I mean, if you're going to elect the guy, do it in his regular term of eligibility, which is what they should have done with Humphrey. The Senior slots are way too valuable to use up on a guy who they should have elected the year before.

Another problem is that Young doesn't belong in the HOF. You look at more film than just about anybody, plus you know more about defensive line play than just about anybody in the football history crowd, but his candidacy is certainly not reflected in his honors. I mean, this is a guy who was a consensus first team all-pro exactly once to go along with some first team honors one other year. There are dozens and dozens of guys in the regular pool with better honor profiles than that who can't even make it to the Final 15 and a few dozen more in the Senior category.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Andy Piascik wrote:I wish I could share your optimism, John. One big problem is that Perry is now in the Senior swamp and he goes behind Wistert, Dilweg, Barwegan, Gradishar, Jim Ray Smith and others. I'd say his chances of getting elected are now slim and none. He deserved better and I say again he's definitely more deserving than Young. It brings to mind Claude Humphrey, who got bypassed in his final year of regular eligibility and then got elected the very next year as a Senior. I mean, if you're going to elect the guy, do it in his regular term of eligibility, which is what they should have done with Humphrey. The Senior slots are way too valuable to use up on a guy who they should have elected the year before.

Another problem is that Young doesn't belong in the HOF. You look at more film than just about anybody, plus you know more about defensive line play than just about anybody in the football history crowd, but his candidacy is certainly not reflected in his honors. I mean, this is a guy who was a consensus first team all-pro exactly once to go along with some first team honors one other year. There are dozens and dozens of guys in the regular pool with better honor profiles than that who can't even make it to the Final 15 and a few dozen more in the Senior category.
Very solid points. Of the other 2022 semifinalists, besides Seymour, who we have covered.. do you feel Jared Allen, Vince Wilfork, and Robert Mathis are higher than Young? Just asking out of curiosity.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Andy Piascik wrote:I wish I could share your optimism, John. One big problem is that Perry is now in the Senior swamp and he goes behind Wistert, Dilweg, Barwegan, Gradishar, Jim Ray Smith and others. I'd say his chances of getting elected are now slim and none. He deserved better and I say again he's definitely more deserving than Young. It brings to mind Claude Humphrey, who got bypassed in his final year of regular eligibility and then got elected the very next year as a Senior. I mean, if you're going to elect the guy, do it in his regular term of eligibility, which is what they should have done with Humphrey. The Senior slots are way too valuable to use up on a guy who they should have elected the year before.

I respect your opinion, Andy. Yours is as valid as mine. So if you don't think BY is worthy, I respect that.

As far as Perry, my hope is that the pro-skill player bias will be slowed down. If you work the numbers there are about 100 fewer blockers, tacklers and cover guys (BTCs) than there should be if you go by who is on the field.

Ok, let's say that the ratio does not have to be the same---so, maybe there are only 50-75 missing BTCs. All of us could name 3-5 players at each position that are HOF-worthy . . . so maybe as we all talk about HOFers in our writing and posts outside the forum, we'd be more apt, for now on, to talk about the BTCs rather than QBs, RBs, and WRs. (Skills)

That is what I am going to do. Why would the 38th or 40th WR go in before the 18th DT? for example
Andy Piascik

Post by Andy Piascik »

Matt, the guy that jumps out is Allen. I think he definitely belongs in the HOF and wouldn't be surprised if he gets in next week. Wilfork and Mathis I would say are about at the same level as Young.

John, I agree completely that there's a major imbalance and that some excellent defensive linemen who didn't rack up lots of sacks have been unjustly overlooked. It seems like this could be a good year for defensive players with Allen, Thomas, Ware, Seymour and Mills all good candidates, plus you think Young is a sure thing, while there's not a single QB or RB on the ballot.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... ss-of.html
I am sticking with my predictions
Richard Seymour
LeRoy Butler
Tony Boselli
Bryant Young
Ware

----------

Ware, if I could, would back off, getting a Sam Mills vibe
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

im surprised as you are andy that michael dean perry never got serious consideration during his whole window and thats all im going to say on that