What if Namath signs with St Louis?

Sonny9

What if Namath signs with St Louis?

Post by Sonny9 »

In 1965 The Cardinals draft Namath but don't sign him. What if he signs? Do the Cardinals make the playoffs in 1966, 1968, and 1970?

1966 After a 7-1-1 start, QB Charley Johnson goes down during their 7th win. They go 1-4 the rest of the way and miss the playoffs
1968 A tie with the 2-11-1 Steelers causes them to miss the playoffs by half a game to the Browns. They swept the Browns that season
1970 After a 8-2-1 start they loose their last 3 and finish 1.5 games back of Dallas. They swept Dallas that year
Brian wolf

Re: What if Namath signs with St Louis?

Post by Brian wolf »

Its interesting but I think the Cardinals couldnt afford him and neither could Dallas who thought about it. The Giants wanted him but werent going to pay over 250,000 for him. Namath had a good lawyer in Bite who did the negotiations but it was actually Bear Bryant who told Namath to go twice as high because he knew the AFL would do it, especially the Jets ...

Even if the Cardinals pulled it off despite cheap ownership, Namath would have sat behind Johnson until 1966 anyway but the Cardinals did have a good line and offense to surround him with. Bob DeMarco has a HOF/HOVG case ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Namath, Sonny Randle and Bob DeMarco make the HOF easily ...

I also still feel the Colts or Redskins should have gotten Staubach in 1964 and waited.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Compelling question. I don't know if the Cardinals have the type of talent that the Jets had, though, to make as big of a difference. And they didn't have Weeb, either. Not saying they wouldn't have been an excellent team under Namath but those are two things to consider.

History certainly would have been different no matter how well the Cards would have done. Namath wouldn't have won the SB with the AFL, obviously. That's such a big deal that it's hard to imagine anything else for SB 3.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Weeb Ewbank was an underrated coach but at heart, he was a player scout. I believe once he took the Jets job, he built a discussion with Bear Bryant at Alabama about wanting Namath. Bryant of course was devastated by Namath's bad knee injury his senior season and knew Joe had to ask for all the money he could get in the pros and with Bite helping him out, watched as Werblin was willing to pay top dollar with the blessing of the NBC Network, who Werblin helped negotiate the upcoming rights package for AFL games to broadcast.

The Giants thought too small, not realizing the opportunity that let slip through their hands but with Namath now to the enemy side, they would either pony up more money for college talent or help bring a future merger that helped Joe make the HOF ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Weeb Ewbank was an underrated coach but at heart, he was a player scout. I believe once he took the Jets job, he built a discussion with Bear Bryant at Alabama about wanting Namath. Bryant of course was devastated by Namath's bad knee injury his senior season and knew Joe had to ask for all the money he could get in the pros and with Bite helping him out, watched as Werblin was willing to pay top dollar with the blessing of the NBC Network, who Werblin helped negotiate the upcoming rights package for AFL games to broadcast.

The Giants thought too small, not realizing the opportunity that let slip through their hands but with Namath now to the enemy side, they would either pony up more money for college talent or help bring a future merger that helped Joe make the HOF ...
The Giants could have had Namath and Matt Snell (the year before). If they get them, NBC and the AFL may not have done business, and who knows what happens to the young league at that point without that new TV contract.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It would have been interesting if Namath played for the Giants in 1965, though his knee needed immediate surgery.

He would have had to compete for the starting job with Earl Morrall. HC Allie Sherman was a good offensive coach but would he have been able to protect Namath with his offensive line the way Weeb did with the Jets ?
Ewbank put a premium on backs who could block, would Sherman had done the same ?
Though the backs for NY were more pedestrian --getting Namath over Fredrickson- the receivers led by Homer Jones, Aaron Thomas and veteran Del Shofner, would have loved catching his passes. The defense as everyone knows, was terrible in 1966 for New York but with the excitement Namath would have drawn, maybe the defense finds a way his first few years. With Dallas and Cleveland being his most talented competition, Namath would have had to adjust rather quickly, depending of course on how quickly he would have started and played after surgery.

The Cardinals had a young capable QB in Johnson but after surgery, Namath probably would have sat behind him, though Johnson ended up missing some games in 1965. A good line with Bob DeMarco, Ken Gray and Ernie McMillan to start out with, Namath would have missed out on the recently traded John David Crow but had great receivers to work with in Sonny Randle, Bobby Joe Conrad and huge target Jackie Smith. Even on defense, Namath would have thrown against Abe Woodson, Larry Wilson and Pat Fischer in practice. What a possible education !
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another thing about Namath, when the Crimson Tide played in the Orange Bowl against Texas, after his injury, I believe the NBC Network, knowing that Werblin was trying to sign Namath for the AFL, purposely decided to schedule the game at night --a first--even though Namath might not have played the game. Of course the Tide goes down 14-3 before Namath rallies them in an exciting prime-time game with Tommy Nobis stopping Namath short of the winning TD.

I have the NBC radio broadcast of the game and even the announcers were in awe of Joe's ability to riddle the Texas secondary with clutch passing. This game justified the faith that NBC had in Namath being their new football star for the AFL even though I really believe had ABC retained the rights for the games they would have kept doing their excellent coverage of the league. Roone Arledge was a true innovator, using many camera angles, zoom techniques and replay. NBC had money to throw around but their football coverage was more traditional and I believe former ABC announcers Curt Gowdy and Paul Christman knew that as well when they came to the network.

Youre right, 7DnB ... the Giants screwed up not signing Matt Snell in 1964. Snell signed with the Jets because he felt the Giants were too arrogant and not taking him seriously. He was a true leader and like Cookie Gilchrist, could play on defense and special teams as well. Jets fans can only imagine how good he could have been without that terrible knee injury in 1967 ...
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Brian wolf wrote:Another thing about Namath, when the Crimson Tide played in the Orange Bowl against Texas, after his injury, I believe the NBC Network, knowing that Werblin was trying to sign Namath for the AFL, purposely decided to schedule the game at night --a first--even though Namath might not have played the game. Of course the Tide goes down 14-3 before Namath rallies them in an exciting prime-time game with Tommy Nobis stopping Namath short of the winning TD.

I have the NBC radio broadcast of the game and even the announcers were in awe of Joe's ability to riddle the Texas secondary with clutch passing. This game justified the faith that NBC had in Namath being their new football star for the AFL even though I really believe had ABC retained the rights for the games they would have kept doing their excellent coverage of the league. Roone Arledge was a true innovator, using many camera angles, zoom techniques and replay. NBC had money to throw around but their football coverage was more traditional and I believe former ABC announcers Curt Gowdy and Paul Christman knew that as well when they came to the network.

Youre right, 7DnB ... the Giants screwed up not signing Matt Snell in 1964. Snell signed with the Jets because he felt the Giants were too arrogant and not taking him seriously. He was a true leader and like Cookie Gilchrist, could play on defense and special teams as well. Jets fans can only imagine how good he could have been without that terrible knee injury in 1967 ...
NBC had gotten the Orange Bowl TV rights that year. Prior to the January 1, 1965 game the Orange bowl was on ABC. They scheduled it for night before it was known Alabama would be playing in it.

I saw the game on TV. Joe Namath became nationally known for his performance, plus signing the $400,000 contract the next day. Namath's fast drop back, quick release, and strong arm had never been seen before on a QB.

Joe Namath is another that people who weren't around when he was at his best sometimes don't get the impact he had.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another huge question ...

Had Namath gotten knee surgery as soon as possible after the NC State game, who would have drafted him and when ? Would the Jets still have gotten him or another team ? It's still hard to believe that he didn't get the surgery sooner but maybe the Alabama doctors simply thought he could play with enough rest, though he reinjured it in the Florida game. Even after his surgery, Dr. Nicholas for the Jets thought he could only play four seasons but he may have said that to motivate Joe's rehabilitation ...