3 seniors per year from 2023-2025, 9 total

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: 3 seniors per year from 2023-2025, 9 total

Post by Brian wolf »

The Senior Eligible Semifinalists List is out and as I predicted, no respect for super-seniors players with only Dilweg and Isbell represented.

No Lewellen, Emerson, Christensen, Wistert, Benton, Howton or Brito.

Only Otis Taylor from the AFL ...

Only six players from the 1960s ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

12 Senior Finalists Wishlist ...

Craig
Dilweg
Gradishar
Howley
Jacoby
Kenn
Kuechenberg
Kunz
Meador
Riley
Sharpe
Taylor

12 Senior Finalists Predictions

Anderson
Baughan
Craig
Gradishar
Howley
Hayes
Klecko
Marshall
Matthews
Nobis
Riley
Sharpe
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

heres mine brian

1. Ken Anderson

2. Maxie Baughan

3. Roger Craig

4. Randy Gradishar

5. Lester Hayes

6. Chuck Howley

7. Joe Klecko

8. Bob Kuechenberg

9. Jim Marshall

10. Eddie Meador

11. Tommy Nobis

12. Ken Riley
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I am happy for all these players but to see Lewellen, Emerson, Wistert, Benton, Howton, Brito, Patton, Matheson, Barwegan, Shofner, Smerlas, Tyrer, Powell, Budde, Sweeney, Haynes, Jackson, Parrish, Grayson and other players get snubbed is tough to read about ... Subjective to the core.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

Here's my 9 by position just from the current semi finalist list. Picking 9 from the whole senior pool is a much harder exercise.

QB Ken Anderson
QB Isbell
WR Otis Taylor
WR Sterling Sharpe
DE Jim Marshall
ILB Maxie Baughan
ILB Randy Gradishar
S Eddie Meador
CB Ken Riley

I did find there aren't 9 cases in this group I'm passionate about, I was more happy about Taylor and Marshalls cases being advanced and upon further inspection I really do understand why people are miffed.

I didn't pick Dilweg because the pre stat era(32) don't feel good comparing players just off accolades. Given how different the NFL was in terms of it's structure think the first 12 years should get it's own wing.

With Isbell while I think the HOF should consider players with less than 65 games(which intended or not seems to be the arbitrary cut off with the exception of Battles and the 20s players) I was thinking like 55 or 60(a lot of worthy players in that 60-65 range). Isbell is below both marks but in terms of play his numbers are clearly HOF worthy for that era. I can get behind making him an exception if they're willing to do that for other non QB's. Anderson and Isbell are the only 2 QB seniors(except Lamonica whose got the whole AFL issue) I think should be in the HOF unless someones slipping my mind(I'm probably a no on Conerly). So that's one position down!

I want Taylor and Sharpe to make it but i fear the WR cases are doomed this year because they want to focus on other positions. I'm not really thrilled about the selections at the other positions. But hey it might be a very different list next year!
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Zero26 wrote:Here's my 9 by position just from the current semi finalist list. Picking 9 from the whole senior pool is a much harder exercise.

QB Ken Anderson
QB Isbell
WR Otis Taylor
WR Sterling Sharpe
DE Jim Marshall
ILB Maxie Baughan
ILB Randy Gradishar
S Eddie Meador
CB Ken Riley

I did find there aren't 9 cases in this group I'm passionate about, I was more happy about Taylor and Marshalls cases being advanced and upon further inspection I really do understand why people are miffed.

I didn't pick Dilweg because the pre stat era(32) don't feel good comparing players just off accolades. Given how different the NFL was in terms of it's structure think the first 12 years should get it's own wing.

With Isbell while I think the HOF should consider players with less than 65 games(which intended or not seems to be the arbitrary cut off with the exception of Battles and the 20s players) I was thinking like 55 or 60(a lot of worthy players in that 60-65 range). Isbell is below both marks but in terms of play his numbers are clearly HOF worthy for that era. I can get behind making him an exception if they're willing to do that for other non QB's. Anderson and Isbell are the only 2 QB seniors(except Lamonica whose got the whole AFL issue) I think should be in the HOF unless someones slipping my mind(I'm probably a no on Conerly). So that's one position down!

I want Taylor and Sharpe to make it but i fear the WR cases are doomed this year because they want to focus on other positions. I'm not really thrilled about the selections at the other positions. But hey it might be a very different list next year!
Question: Do you think 2/3 Slots will be defense and only 1 offense?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I rightfully feel that this year will go 2/3 seniors on defense with Dilweg and Gradishar grabbing those spots, though I want Howley to join that group ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian by my research there are three pre 1960s on the ballot do you consider Chuck Howley 1958,Ed Meador 1959 super seniors along with dilweg
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not really Robert, since they mostly played in 60s and 70s ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Fair enough Brian i can see your logic