3 seniors per year from 2023-2025, 9 total

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
Brian wolf

Re: 3 seniors per year from 2023-2025, 9 total

Post by Brian wolf »

Interesting exercise ... I looked back at the Senior candidate draft conducted by Talkoffamenetwork in which historians, many on these threads, did a seven round draft of seniors they would select, involving Ken, Andy, John, Chris and Jeffrey ... Coach Troup, Clark Judge, Rick Gosselin and Ron Borges did not participate.

Of the entire 35 senior selections from rounds #1 - 7 by our esteemed historians, only 8 made the Semifinalist list of 25 ... Why is this ? Voter reactions to team fans ? Team homerism-subjectivity ?
Ignoring players that were never seen, known or researched by voters ? Voters trying to add franchises that had no HOF representation ? Being only comfortable with modern players that have been scrutinized repeatedly ?

You would think these voters would learn from esteemed sites like Talkoffamenetwork, The PFRA, Pro Football Journal, Zoneblitz.com and other sites dedicated to NFL history but the process maybe more leaning toward previous voting, campaigns, promotions and past arguments.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

am i one of the esteemed from zoneblitz brian
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A true researcher ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Getting excited again for the next three seniors for the Class Of 2024, with voting coming up again in July when training camps start ...

Who will replace the elected seniors on the semifinalist and finalist lists?

My New SemiFinalists Wishlist

Wistert
Lewellen
Brito

I would replace Morgan and Clayton for Benton, Howton or Shofner

I would replace Nobis(finalist) Isbell(finalist), Hinton and Billy Johnson with Patton, Barwegan, Dick Anderson or Jake Scott ... though these choices are doubtful since Nobis and Isbell made the queue of finalists.

Finalist Wishlist

Wistert
Lewellen
Brito
Gradishar
Dilweg - over Isbell
Sharpe
Meador
Kuechenberg
Jacoby or Kenn - over Walls
Craig - over Nobis
Baughan
Anderson - borderline but Bengals are making waves
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian: who do you like more dick anderson or jake scott?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its a tough call Robert, but I choose Anderson over Scott, though both were clutch in postseason play. Not only did Scott win MVP in SB VII but knocked Bradshaw out of the 1972 AFC Championship, where Hanratty couldnt get the Steelers going, though Bradshaw returned. Anderson had big games against the Browns in the 1972 playoffs, the Raiders in the 1973 AFC Championship game and the picture perfect interception return to seal the shutout against John Unitas and the Colts in their last postseason game till the end of the 1975 season. Yes, the Dolphins had HOF players on a ball-control running offense but these two safeties were the glue to a true No-Name defense with one HOF player who played many years with another team ...
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

second that Brian i fully agree with you choosing anderson over scott as i am a big fan of dick anderson also
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Scott is so accomplished though, with over 50 career interceptions counting postseason in just nine years ... Its really close. Like I mentioned on Zoneblitz.com today, if the voters decide to ignore players before 1960 again, which seems likely, I would choose these three modern players to make the semifinals ...

Dick Anderson ... *edited - he deserves the Terrell Davis injury argument after seven great years.
Harvey Martin
Harold Jackson ... though so far, other receivers are ahead of him
Last edited by Brian wolf on Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Scott is so accomplished though, with over 50 career interceptions counting postseason in just nine years ... Its really close. Like I mentioned on Zoneblitz.com today, if the voters decide to ignore players before 1960 again, which seems likely, I would choose these three modern players to make the semifinals ...

Dick Anderson
Harvey Martin
Harold Jackson ... though so far, other receivers are ahead of him
Like you said on zoneblitz I fully agree with you on these 3 100% my questions which wide receivers are ahead of jackson
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Still hearing new HOF prez would like one of the 3 seniors to be
a "super senior" if you will, though don't think that is his term

I don't think he has the power to force it . . . so certainly no lock - last year
Cecil Isbell and Dilweg were on the Final 25.

My preference would be Dilweg over Isbell.

Nothing against Isbell . . . just think Dilweg or Lewellen rank above him among Packers.

Don't know where "divider" is for him---but I think Brito should get a better look anyway.
Been for him a long time...but he's never even mentioned.

Hearing it could be Graidshar--kind of a "it's his year" thing but have heard that before.
believe it when I see it.

Of course Sharpe a lot of momentum---

I just hope Porter can have enough influence committee to give more consideration to
the odler guys---my understanding is when he went to three his vision was to use
some of those slots for gusy of the 20s-50s or whatever time frame...not
just for guys in 60s-80s.