Texas Stadium turf history

lastcat3

Texas Stadium turf history

Post by lastcat3 »

I just saw a game of the week video on youtube of a 1972 matchup between Dallas and Pittsburgh. It was a game played at Dallas right after Texas Stadium had been built (believe they started playing there halfway through the '71 season). In the highlights there was no logo in the center of the field and the endzones were completely bare. I knew that they wouldn't have the star at the center of the field yet (as I have seen games from the late '70's where they just had an NFL logo at the center of the field). But was surprised to see that they didn't decorate the endzones at all (as even the old Cotton Bowl had their endzones painted up a bit during Cowboy games).

When did they give Texas Stadium the now iconic look of the Star in the center of the field and the heavily decorated endzones?
slats7

Re: Texas Stadium turf history

Post by slats7 »

They had painted end zones in the 1971 Championship game vs San Francisco. 1973 was the first year the team had painted end zones during the regular season. 1974 was the first year we saw the star at midfield.