The greatest AFL game ever played?

74_75_78_79_

The greatest AFL game ever played?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

My apologies if this was already a topic (I'll delete this thread if so). I know that just because a game goes into OT, it doesn't automatically make it a candidate for "best ever". Prime example (with me, at least) being the 1958 NFL Championship Game. Yes, very good game, historic value, but game-wise there are so many above it IMHO.

However, as for the AFL, and despite this indeed being an OT game as well (make that double, of course), the '62 League Championship Game between two-time-defending-Champ, Houston Oilers, and Dallas Texans is by far the first that jumps out at me! I see that it's available to see albeit still in that not-so-clear black-and-white. I'll still watch and enjoy when I get the chance!

IS that the best of the American Football League though, IYOs?
Brian wolf

Re: The greatest AFL game ever played?

Post by Brian wolf »

Too many interceptions from Blanda in that 62 Championship game. The last one was when they were close enough for a FG but a good comeback nevertheless ...

Without a doubt, its the 1968 AFL Championship game. That game had balls out offense but the defenses made plays as well. If the Raiders could have held on to their interceptions, they would have won. We have discussed worst passes in another forum but I am hoping we discuss some of, if not the best pass in NFL history and Namath's arrow pass to Maynard in the back of the endzone to give the Jets their final lead, was definitely the best in Jet's history ...
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I wish I could have watched some of those games unfold live on TV, so it's a different perspective. The 62 AFL Championship certainly has to rank up there in terms of lore. Everybody knows the "kick to the clock story" and that it was a double-overtime game.

The Jets Raiders AFL Championship seems like it would have to rank way up there. The footage I've gotten to see from the Jets Chiefs playoff the next year I would think would rate highly as well.

Having not gotten to see any of the games as they happened, I personally would guess the 1969 Raiders Chiefs AFL Championship would also be high. The NFL Films summary is awesome. Although maybe not the closest game with a fantastic finish, the build-up to that game for AFL fans must have been awesome and although there wasn't an historic finish, it appears to have been a really good game.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Brian wolf wrote: Without a doubt, its the 1968 AFL Championship game. That game had balls out offense but the defenses made plays as well. If the Raiders could have held on to their interceptions, they would have won. We have discussed worst passes in another forum but I am hoping we discuss some of, if not the best pass in NFL history and Namath's arrow pass to Maynard in the back of the endzone to give the Jets their final lead, was definitely the best in Jet's history ...
I am partial to the 1968 AFL Championship as well. It would have made a terrific "Greatest Games" episode. Strangely, the 1962 and 1968 AFL Championship games were missing from the NFL's Top 100 Greatest Games list when it was unveiled in 2019. The only pure AFL game to crack the top 100 was the Jets at Raiders "Heidi" game from November 1968 (ranked #41).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... -games.htm

In his 1988 book, NFL Top 40 - The Greatest Pro Football Games of All Time, Shelby Strother included the 1962 and 1968 AFL Championship games in his Top 40, along with the '68 "Heidi" classic.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

The 62 Championship Game wasn't really a back-and-forth affair. The Texans didn't do anything in the 2nd half. They ran one play in Houston territory. Dawson had 9 completions and 6 sacks for the game. The only reason the Texans weren't blown out was because of Blanda's 5 INTs. At the end of regulation, Blanda's game-winning FG attempt was blocked.

I would vote for the Heidi game as the greatest AFL game. It was crazy. I think it was the first AFL game that got national pre-game hype. There was big buildup to the game, and the game itself did not disappoint. It was played with postseason intensity. Injuries (even career ending ones), penalties, ejections...lots going on. The game really was a back-and-forth. Maynard had two 45+ yard catches on one 'drive'. Lamonica threw 4 TDs. Biletnikoff had a big game. Charlie Smith too. I would love to see the actual game itself or at least extended footage of the game.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I'd love to see a book on the top 25 games from the AFL.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JohnR wrote:I'd love to see a book on the top 25 games from the AFL.
That would be a good book. Maybe trim it back to top 10 and really get into the granular details.

Like most folks here, I figure #1 is either the Heidi game or the '68 title game. Maybe 1A and 1B---same teams, a few weeks apart, and a great rivalry with a great cast: Joe WIllie, Big Ben, etc.

BTW---a lot of stories I've read about the Heidi game forget to mention that fans in Mountain and Pacific time zones saw the game to its conclusion. Those of us in the east/midwest got screwed.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

Interesting story regarding the Heidi game. Joe Namath was seated on a plane preparing for takeoff. A woman passenger asked the flight attendant if Namath was seated in the front and asked if she could introduce herself to him. Receiving two affirmatives, the woman introduced herself to Namath and said "Hello, I'm Heidi." The woman was Jenny Agutter, the actress who portrayed Heidi in the TV movie.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:Interesting story regarding the Heidi game. Joe Namath was seated on a plane preparing for takeoff. A woman passenger asked the flight attendant if Namath was seated in the front and asked if she could introduce herself to him. Receiving two affirmatives, the woman introduced herself to Namath and said "Hello, I'm Heidi." The woman was Jenny Agutter, the actress who portrayed Heidi in the TV movie.
I think she later was a Bond girl. Maybe she was at the time she met Joe. Now she plays a nun on TV (Call the Midwife).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Back in the late 90s, ESPN Cassic actually showed the movie, Heidi when they did an anniversary of the game. It was a good movie and understandable that parents would have wanted to watch it with their kids.

The game was definitely influential but obviously the Raiders needed it more than the Jets, who had their division all but wrapped up. The defenses were so bad that the Raiders actually had two TD plays called back and why on earth the Raiders put rookie Atkinson on Maynard for not only this game but the AFL Championship game is beyond me ? They should have had Dave Grayson on him but may have felt he could have been burned as well but sometimes you have to go with experience over faster youth ...

A great game without a doubt but I feel both defenses were better in the AFL Championship with everything at stake.