2024 HOF Class

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rebelx24

2024 HOF Class

Post by rebelx24 »

Looking at the list of first-time eligibles for next year, Julius Peppers is the only guy who really strikes me as a no-brainer first-ballot inductee. Antonio Gates is obviously deserving, but I suspect he'll end up waiting a year or two because of the hall's historic stinginess with TEs. I believe Haloti Ngata and Eric Berry deserve induction one day, but they'll have to wait a while.

I would assume that Peppers and Gates are the only new guys who will end up making the final 15. I would also assume that all the players who didn't make it in this year, sans Albert Lewis, return. That leaves us with a list of Allen, Anderson, Freeney, Gates, Hester, Holt, Johnson, Peppers, Wayne, Willis, and Woodson. Who ends up taking each of the remaining four slots? Probably guys who were semifinalists this year move up in the queue. My picks would be Eric Allen, Jahri Evans, James Harrison, and Vince Wilfork. I don't think they'll move any of the WRs up until at least one of the current crop of three (four including Hester) get in.

So, a good opportunity for players waiting several years to get in. A decent Hall class for next year IMO would be Peppers, J. Allen, Holt, Willis, and Woodson.

Another note: 2025 will also be rife with opportunities for people in the queue, as I can easily see none of the first-time eligibles making it in that year. Kuechly is the best of them, and they may hold his short career against him as they've done with Willis.

Thoughts?
Brian wolf

Re: 2024 HOF Class

Post by Brian wolf »

I actually believe Gates should and will be first ballot ... Hard to make a TE with 118 TDs counting postseason, have to wait. I actually believe he and Witten, who was a great blocker, should get in before other receivers ...

My Class Of 2024

Wishlist

Gradishar
Wistert
Lewellen
Parker
Peppers
Gates
Allen
Nalen
Woodson

Prediction

Sharpe
Kuechenberg
Gradishar
Kraft
Peppers
Gates
Allen
A Johnson
Woodson
rebelx24

Post by rebelx24 »

Valid point about Gates. You may well be right.

One amendment to the guys moving onto the finalist list: should be Kevin Williams over Wilfork. Don't understand how Williams didn't make the semifinalist cut this time around, given the tremendous player he was. His sin, I think, was that he was way too quiet and didn't draw attention to himself.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You're right about Williams but interior linemen on both sides get shafted. A pure nose tackle still hasnt been voted in yet either and Smerlas is deserving as a senior sometime.
rebelx24

Post by rebelx24 »

Brian wolf wrote:You're right about Williams but interior linemen on both sides get shafted. A pure nose tackle still hasnt been voted in yet either and Smerlas is deserving as a senior sometime.
Definitely agree on Smerlas. He's been on my radar for some time as one of the few nose tackles who is deserving. I think Wilfork is as well, just not before players of Williams's caliber.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I realize some Patriots are deserving but I would prefer Harrison, McGinest or Mankins before Wilfork but its close. Light was underrated but wont get on the map anytime soon.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Dont get me wrong, Wilfork was excellent and deserving but I would put Smerlas or Washington in the HOF first ... I feel Krumrie is also deserving but not enough accolades.
Zero26

Post by Zero26 »

For me the thing that makes this class so hard to predict is the Halls reluctancy to elect a few guys from one position. The ballots becoming increasingly dominated by WRs and edge rushers will they stick to position diversity even as the other position groups thin out?

Prediction
Peppers
Holt or Wayne
Hester
Jared Allen
Gates or Willis

Gates could easily get in first ballot but I have a feeling they're going to make him wait. Can't really put my finger on it. Willis seems like the strongest candidate of last years finalists whos not an edge rusher or pass catcher. Don't think only playing 8 years is going to hold him out much longer.

In terms of new finalists besides Peppers I'd say Mathis, Smith, Harrison and maybe Evans? Eric Allen or Boldin might get into the finals. I have Boldin higher than Andre Johnson and Smith but I'm aware the voters probably disagree and am not expecting that.

In terms of lower down the ballot several thoughts
.Hoping Rice gets back in the semis IMO he compares well with a lot of the ballot.
.Agree with Kevin Williams over Wilfork as previously floated.
.I can't believe Fred Taylors still their favorite early 2000s RB.
.Hope Lomas Brown gets some traction he's only got a few years left. Don't understand how Willie Andersons getting so much traction while Lomas isn't even making the semis.
.Porcher hasn't been nominated the last few years. Can anyone send a Hall of Fame nomination email?
.Maybe Logan Mankins gains some traction?
rebelx24

Post by rebelx24 »

In terms of lower down the ballot several thoughts
Hoping Rice gets back in the semis IMO he compares well with a lot of the ballot.
Yeah, I'd like to see Rice make it eventually. I know his career could have been longer, but he was one of the best pass rushers around during his career, and he accumulated sacks at a pretty staggering rate. He and Hardy Nickerson are the two remaining guys from those '90's/early '00's Tampa defenses who I think are worthy.
I can't believe Fred Taylors still their favorite early 2000s RB.
I don't really get this. Taylor was a very good but not great running back, in my estimation. Surprisingly long career given the injuries he had endured, but the career totals just aren't there, nor is the peak production. They really need to be looking much more closely at Shaun Alexander and Priest Holmes instead.
Hope Lomas Brown gets some traction he's only got a few years left. Don't understand how Willie Andersons getting so much traction while Lomas isn't even making the semis.
I have long thought Brown was Hall-worthy. He and Richmond Webb are two prominent tackles from the '90s who have gotten zero attention from the voters, for some strange reason.
Maybe Logan Mankins gains some traction?
Would be nice. Probably the best player on those Patriots lines; has a solid resume. He suffers from being a guard, of course, but I can't help but wonder if he's also being overlooked because he didn't win any of the actual championships. Whereas the other Pats players who are in or who deserve serious consideration have at least one ring, the poor guy had the misfortune of playing right in the "donut hole" of the Pats' dynasty and losing to the Giants twice, with the team having won titles both the year before he was drafted and the year after he had left for TB. It doesn't get any unluckier than that!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I agree about the reassessment of Holmes and Alexander, rebelx24 ... and Lynch might enter the conversation soon himself, though its the lack of a single carry that might hold him back from possible election but we will find out later.

Webb, Nalen and Wisniewski need to be vetted better as well but what could be hurting Webb was despite great talent, he could be underwhelming as a run blocker and like Winston Hill before, devalued protecting a QB with a super fast release ...

It will be tough with Simeon Rice because like I mentioned in a thread about the Bucs defense, you cant put everyone in and one championship doesnt justify five or six enshrinees, including Nickerson as well.

Eric Allen could get traction as a CB but its doubtful that Leslie O Neil will continue to advance with all the considered pass rushers though he could stop the run better than many of them ...