Latrobe 1903-1905

TanksAndSpartans

Latrobe 1903-1905

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I would argue this may be the most historically under-appreciated team of all time. Usually when we think of Latrobe we think of how historians thought for years they had the first pro in 1895 or how they almost got the HOF, etc. I think these are the points even their own historians emphasize (i.e. their 1890s success), but during this later period they went on a 3-year run beating everyone they faced. 26-0 record (the last 23 by shutout).

1903: 9-0 (only gave up one TD on the season)
Signature Wins:
6-5 over Pittsburg’s East End Athletic Club (featuring Bob Shiring at Center)
34-0 over Pittsburg's Lyceum team (There were two such teams in the area - this was the one based downtown. The other was was based in the east end.)
6-0 over the Pennsylvania Railroad YMCA of Philadelphia (This team featured Ben Roller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Roller) and olympian John Geiger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Geiger_(rower)))

1904: 9-0 (unscored upon)
Signature Wins:
5-0 over Steelton (This team featured John Ernst (father of ’25 Maroons QB Jack Ernst) one of several PA players eventually recruited to play in the Ohio League during this period. (Of course Shiring was another). Both father and son attended Lafayette College)
24-0 over the East End Lyceum

1905: 8-0 (unscored upon)
Signature Wins:
10-0 over PRR YMCA of Philadelphia
23-0 over Steelton
6-0 over Canton
4-0 over Steelton

In ’03, the Franklin (PA) team was considered the best, but they never met Latrobe. At one point they played the same team back-to-back weeks and defeated that team by essentially the same margin. There was even a postseason in 1903, the second year of the so called "World Series of Football", but Latrobe wasn't invited. Then in 1904/1905, historians switch over to the Ohio League with Canton and Massillon, but when Latrobe met Canton in 1905, they won. To bad they didn't play Massillon too.