Most boring NFL season?

CSKreager

Most boring NFL season?

Post by CSKreager »

Many say it was 1993 with the double byes and so many FG’s that it led to 94 rule changes (ie 2PC)

I however say 1989

That year it seemed from day 1 that San Francisco winning the SB was almost a foregone conclusion.

When they came back in the 4th quarter at Philadelphia in week 3, you might as well have just handed them the Lombardi Trophy that day

After that it felt like waiting 4 months for the inevitable ending (even moreso considering their +100 point differential in the playoffs.

The 1989 49ers seemed like they were almost too good for the league’s good

The gap between them and #2 was almost as wide as the gap between #3 and #22
Bryan

Re: Most boring NFL season?

Post by Bryan »

This one!
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I'd nominate 1973. It was the same teams as always qualifying for the playoffs, with the only mild surprise being Cincinnati. The only division races that were close involved teams that got in as wild-cards anyway. Nothing about the post-season was interesting. The highlight was seeing if Miami would repeat, which naturally they did. The only drama of any kind was O.J. Simpson's pursuit of the rushing record.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

1977. Before the next season the rules were changed to help the passing game.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

1973 was a good call but I still believe if Calvin Hill wouldnt have gotten hurt in the playoff game against the Rams, Dallas would have beaten the Vikings and faced Miami again in a grudge match.
Weirdly, I think I would have rather seen the Vikings lose a tough game to Dallas, than get blown out by the Dolphins. That SB was weird because it seemed the Dolphins offensive line just took over from the get-go and mentally, the Vikings never left Texas Stadium ...
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Brian wolf wrote:1973 was a good call but I still believe if Calvin Hill wouldnt have gotten hurt in the playoff game against the Rams, Dallas would have beaten the Vikings and faced Miami again in a grudge match.
Weirdly, I think I would have rather seen the Vikings lose a tough game to Dallas, than get blown out by the Dolphins. That SB was weird because it seemed the Dolphins offensive line just took over from the get-go and mentally, the Vikings never left Texas Stadium ...
The Vikings kicked the Cowboys' butts. Outgained them by 150 yards. If Hill plays and gains 100, take Newhouse' 50 away, they still get outgained by 100. Hill wouldn't have been nearly enough.

Bob Lilly was also out. Vikings ran some different things in the first half and Cowboys defense couldn't get off the field. Only 3 drives apiece in the first half, 10-0 Vikings. Staubach didn't do much. Pearson had been a starter for half a season and was doubled in the game, leaving an aging Hayes and a rookie DuPree.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats why I really dont believe Hayes should have made the HOF ... just not clutch enough in big games or postseason, though his catches-to-TDs ratio was good. I also felt he dropped too many passes but he was a dynamic weapon ...

I just felt, psychologically, the Cowboys couldnt recover from Hill's absence. The Vikings werent worried about tough but slower, Newhouse. They did whip em though but had nothing for Miami. That has to go on Grant as much as the players.

Though 1994 seemed like an exciting year, especially with teams using throwback uniforms and free agency affecting teams, it really wasnt since Buffalo had a bad season and everyone knew either Dallas or SF would win it all. The Steelers were the expected team to the SB but got upset by SD. The Chiefs and Montana struggled as well, though Joe beat the Niners to highlight his last season. The Chiefs-Broncos MNF game was the most electric atmosphere and game, that I had ever witnessed on Monday night ...
Crazy Packers Fan

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

1989 or 1991. In 1989, the 49ers were so much better than everyone else that the playoffs proved to be little more than a formality, not to mention the entire AFC being a joke. In 1991, many of the playoff games were blowouts, and there was never really any question that Washington would win it all. Those two seasons have this in common: the theme song CBS added for Super Bowl XXIV and dropped following Super Bowl XXVI. It was a boring theme, and it summed up those two seasons.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Crazy Packers Fan wrote:In 1989, the 49ers were so much better than everyone else that the playoffs proved to be little more than a formality, not to mention the entire AFC being a joke.
The NFC that year had a bunch of 10 win teams but they feasted off a weak bottom tier

Outside of SF who else in the 89 NFC was truly SB worthy?
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

CSKreager wrote:
Crazy Packers Fan wrote:In 1989, the 49ers were so much better than everyone else that the playoffs proved to be little more than a formality, not to mention the entire AFC being a joke.
The NFC that year had a bunch of 10 win teams but they feasted off a weak bottom tier

Outside of SF who else in the 89 NFC was truly SB worthy?
I don't see a ton of difference between the 1989 Giants and the 1990 Giants.

The Broncos weren't SB worthy. I think either the Giants or Rams take care of them fairly easily.