Obscure trivia

Bryan

Obscure trivia

Post by Bryan »

this team was trailing by 7 points at the end of the game, but ended up winning by scoring TDs on the last two plays of the game. Name the team.
Bob Gill

Re: Obscure trivia

Post by Bob Gill »

I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but I do know the answer to this related question, so I'll add it to this thread.

When the final game of the regular season ended, this running back had 990-some yards. But he finished as a 1,000-yard rusher. Better yet, this description applies to TWO different backs. Who are they?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

I also have no idea about the initial question but, if I recall correctly, wasn't Beattie Feathers' total rushing yards for 1934 revised upwards and that gave him the first 1,000 yard season in the NFL?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I am guessing this might be Bears/Lions 1980 Thanksgiving. Vince Evans scored on the last play of the game and then the Bears returned the OT kickoff for a touchdown.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bob Gill wrote:I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but I do know the answer to this related question, so I'll add it to this thread.

When the final game of the regular season ended, this running back had 990-some yards. But he finished as a 1,000-yard rusher. Better yet, this description applies to TWO different backs. Who are they?
Mercury Morris was the other. I believe a loss was shifted to a QB which put Morris at 1000
Last edited by Sonny9 on Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Bryan wrote:this team was trailing by 7 points at the end of the game, but ended up winning by scoring TDs on the last two plays of the game. Name the team.
Charlie Smith? Was it in the Heidi Bowl?
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

This team had the NFC's #1 offense and beat 4 playoff teams but still missed the playoffs because they lost to 3 last place squads. Name the team.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:I am guessing this might be Bears/Lions 1980 Thanksgiving. Vince Evans scored on the last play of the game and then the Bears returned the OT kickoff for a touchdown.
This is correct!
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Gill wrote:I have no idea what the answer is to that question, but I do know the answer to this related question, so I'll add it to this thread.

One is Mercury Morris. Don't know other one
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Sonny9 wrote:Mercury Morris was the other. I believe a loss was shifted to a QB which put Morris at 1000
Right, and that's always sounded suspicous to me. I think Morris was 9 yards short of 1,000, and then -- presto! -- they looked over the games and found a loss of EXACTLY 9 yards that was mistakenly charged to him. It just seems fishy.

The other guy who didn't have 1,000 yards when the final game ended was Earnest Byner, in 1985. He finished with 994 yards -- but there was a penalty on the final play against the Jets (Joe Klecko, I think), and of course the game can't end on a defensive penalty. So the Browns got to run one more play, and Byner picked up 8 yards, so he wound up with 1,002.