2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
TanksAndSpartans

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JameisSaintston wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm I just edited that post like 5 times and only one instance of it is showing for me. Do you see multiple copies of my post?
I don't - but let's see if there's a lag.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I liked the older format better, which also showed how much posts were read ... yes T&S, it showed your post multiple times.
I edit as well, so let me know if mine is doing that ... Thanks
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brian wolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:22 pm I liked the older format better, which also showed how much posts were read ... yes T&S, it showed your post multiple times.
I edit as well, so let me know if mine is doing that ... Thanks
Thanks Brian. I liked that "view count" or whatever it was called too. The first thing I noticed about this version is it only takes up about 60% of my screen with 20% empty space on either side. It seems like it's the same company though so hopefully whatever they were trying to address has been addressed/improved.
John Maxymuk

Post by John Maxymuk »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:05 am The Steelers switched in 1953, during his seventh season.
The Steelers actually switched to the T in 1952 under head coach Joe Bach, back for a second term with Pittsburgh. Gus Dorais was the backfield coach. Finks threw 336 passes and 20 TDs that year after throwing just 24 passes the prior season under Coach John Michelosen who was once Single Wing devotee Jock Sutherland's top asst.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks JohnM ... haha, never trust Wiki ...
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Somehow the mention of Chet Mutryn in this thread slipped my awareness, but I just ran across him and... damn, son. Definitely another guy I'd go for over Beals (the list goes on and on...), but hard to place him relative to my other priority picks. I have to wonder why a guy like that didn't adapt to the NFL. Doesn't appear to have been injuries in his case as with Spec Sanders.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:05 am Similar to the Carroll Dale comment, I was really surprised that Terry Metcalf wasn't in the HOVG yet. Seems like this is the sort of thing that was made for that guy.
Only really played 5 NFL seasons. He was an incredible game changing type performer but...just didn't have any kind of longevity. Maybe two more years like 1974 and 1975 and he could be HOVG
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

The Terry Metcalf I'm looking at never had a season over 1200 scrimmage yards. It doesn't appear he ever got a bellcow workload; he also never had more than 20 carries in a game. Is his returning considered the most relevant data point in his HOVG favor?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Metcalf was exciting but fumbled alot as well. The Cards shouldnt have let him go to Canada but maybe management felt he didnt deserve bell-cow money?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:55 pm The Terry Metcalf I'm looking at never had a season over 1200 scrimmage yards.
Kind of a myopic thing to say. He had 1194 scrimmage yards in 1975 and was 3rd in MVP voting while earning All NFC honors. If he had 6 more yards from scrimmage that year, would that change your opinion on Metcalf?
JameisSaintston wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:55 pmIt doesn't appear he ever got a bellcow workload; he also never had more than 20 carries in a game. Is his returning considered the most relevant data point in his HOVG favor?
I guess it's how you define "workload". I would say that Metcalf had a pretty heavy "workload" despite it not being a "bellcow workload". I think its pretty amazing at how productive Metcalf was without a 'bellcow' workload. To be consistently among the top yardage producers year after year while at the same time averaging 4.6 yards per carry, 10 yards per reception, 11 yards per punt return and 26 yards per kick return is astounding to me. He excelled at everything and was a threat everywhere on the field. He wasn't just compiling numbers like a Herschel Walker.