2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
JuggernautJ

2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by JuggernautJ »

Based on the recently completed vote of the Hall of Very Good Committee, these are the 20 finalists for this year's HOVG from which PFRA members will now choose: Houston Antwine, Coy Bacon, Alyn Beals, Les Bingaman, Ray Childress, George Christensen, John David Crow, Earl Faison, Buckets Goldenberg, Leon Gray, Nick Lowery, Peggy Parratt, Michael Dean Perry, Marvin Powell, Buster Ramsey, Buck Shaw, Steve Tasker, Jeff Van Note, Herschel Walker and Russ Washington.

Here is the complete list of nominees:

George Andrie
Houston Antwine
Coy Bacon
Alyn Beals
Les Bingaman
Forrest Blue
Bill Bradley
James Brooks
Larry Brooks
Butch Byrd
John Cannady
Ray Childress
George Christensen
Gary Clark
Dwight Clark
Raymond Clayborn
Randy Cross
John David Crow
Milt Davis
Bob DeMarco
Don Doll
Dave Duerson
Doug English
Boomer Esiason
Earl Faison
Bill Fralic
John Gammons
Buckets Goldenberg
John Gordy
Leon Gray
Cedric Hardman
Chris Hinton
Kent Hull
Homer Jones
Herman Kerkhoff
Charlie Krueger
Ray Krouse
Pat Leahy
Nick Lowery
Dave Lutz
Leonard Marshall
Robert Marshall
Jerry Mays
Terry Metcalf
Russell Method
Jack McBride
Ernie McMillan
Jim McMillen
Lydell Mitchell
Chet Mutryn
Riley Odoms
Jack Pardee
Peggy Parratt
Michael Dean Perry
Marvin Powell
Eddie Price
Jethro Pugh
Mike Quick
Buster Ramsey
Len Rohde
George Sauer, Jr
Buck Shaw
Bob Shiring
Phil Simms
Jack Snow
Mike Stratton
Steve Tasker
Rosey Taylor
Jim Turner
Reuben Ursella
Jeff Van Note
Brad Van Pelt
Herschel Walker
Wayne Walker
Kenny Washington
Russ Washington
Doug Wilkerson
Fredd Young
JuggernautJ

Re: 2023 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by JuggernautJ »

PFRA members in good standing may send their votes to: andypiascik@yahoo.com
You must vote for 10 of the 20 Finalists, above.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks guys ...

I like Milt Davis alot but like Schnellbacher, didnt feel four years was enough as a player.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Being bold as always TanksAndSpartans but I think this is the year for Christensen.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brian wolf wrote:Being bold as always TanksAndSpartans but I think this is the year for Christensen.
Knocking out Latone and Christensen in back-to-back years would be great! Fingers crossed.

Believe it or not, I'm not sold yet on Parratt as a player (I focus on playing, personally I don't have strong opinions on evaluating contributions). I like seeing someone from that era as a finalist though. I'm working on an article that has me going through games season by season and I only just started 1907. He may well be a strong candidate for that era, but my instincts say there may be a few better ones. I'll have a better idea in a year or two. Off the top of my head, for the seasons between the scandal and Thorpe, I'd say Homer Davidson, but I could be wrong.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I voted for Parratt as a coach-owner-leader as well ... I am hoping the Senior Semifinalists are announced today ... If anyone knows, please get back?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

A question and a few thoughts on some of the guys that didn't make it to the final round...

question: what is the process for nominees to become one of the 20 finalists?

Thoughts:

Terry Metcalf - this guy was really something in his prime. Watch film on him and tell me any other player on this list is better than Metcalf. He had a short 'prime', but I think that is what the HOVG should be about, not just selecting guys like Jeff Van Note who had long careers but were not HOFers.

James Brooks - very similar to Metcalf in that he was a remarkable oddity...a small RB who was durable enough to be a workhorse for many seasons. One of my favorite players and way more impressive to me than Herschel Walker.

Mike Quick - not looking at stats, Quick was an elite WR on some terrible offenses with terrible coaches. He could beat even the best DBs, and he could do it all. He was big, fast, great hands, could go over the middle, could make people miss after the catch. His production ended right when the Eagles started to become good, but I remember him as one of the very best WRs of the 1980s, and better than many of the WRs currently in the HOF.

Fredd Young - HA! I thought this was the HOVG, not the Hall of Worst Players Traded For A First Round Draft Pick!
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Back in 2017, I did a fantasy draft of the '30s and posted it on the board:

https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... e42#p23364

It didn't spur a lot of discussion, but I got a couple of replies. Thanks John and Jay!

Goldenberg wound up as an 11th rounder on Team A. This list has him higher than I do:

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... uards.html

but also behind Kopcha and Musso. From the '20s, McMillen would be a nice HOVG addition. I may cycle him back into my nominations next year.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Bryan wrote: question: what is the process for nominees to become one of the 20 finalists?
https://www.profootballresearchers.com/ ... f=8&t=6122

Each Committee member (9) then ranks their top 20 choices of those nominated from 1 to 20. Points are awarded in inverse order. The top 20 vote getters are submitted to the organization as finalists for the HoVG. This is done shortly after the nomination period is closed.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:Knocking out Latone and Christensen in back-to-back years would be great! Fingers crossed.
FWIW, during the committee portion of the voting, in the last eight years I've had Christensen ranked/voted:

1st: 2x
2nd: 3x
3rd: 2x
5th: 1

Most of those years one spot behind Latone who I had been ranking/voting near/at the top of the list at least back to 2013.

So yes, knocking them both out in a 3-year (Latone was 2021) span would be great. Would be nice to put some new names at the top of my committee vote/ranking.