Seniors

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
rewing84

Re: Seniors

Post by rewing84 »

Correct it took monk 8 yrs to get into the hall
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

To move onto a different player

One player who looks like he could belong in the Hall of Fame based solely off of his resume (and is already in the Hall of Very Good here) is the Dolphins free safety Jake Scott.

When I look at his resume, I see five pro bowls, four all pro teams (1972 and 1975 being second team, with 1973 and 1974 being first team), 49 interceptions, and a further five in the playoffs. He also was a Super Bowl MVP, and was a part of a handful of top five defenses in his time, with both the 72 and 73 Dolphin championship teams having the best defense in the league by points.

Scott also added about 1,500 yards of returns on the side, and actually led the AFC in punt return yards in 1971.

Not sure how that necessarily compares to other Hall of Fame safeties, but that looks like someone who could belong in Canton.

At the same time though, not everything that a player does is a recorded statistic, so if there's anything to add that is related to how he played that isn't mentioned there, then feel free to share it.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

I think former University of Georgia coach Vince Dooley mentioned Jake Scott was the best athlete he ever coached, and Dooley coached a lot of top players at Georgia.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

SeahawkFever wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:42 am To move onto a different player

One player who looks like he could belong in the Hall of Fame based solely off of his resume (and is already in the Hall of Very Good here) is the Dolphins free safety Jake Scott.

When I look at his resume, I see five pro bowls, four all pro teams (1972 and 1975 being second team, with 1973 and 1974 being first team), 49 interceptions, and a further five in the playoffs. He also was a Super Bowl MVP, and was a part of a handful of top five defenses in his time, with both the 72 and 73 Dolphin championship teams having the best defense in the league by points.

Scott also added about 1,500 yards of returns on the side, and actually led the AFC in punt return yards in 1971.

Not sure how that necessarily compares to other Hall of Fame safeties, but that looks like someone who could belong in Canton.

At the same time though, not everything that a player does is a recorded statistic, so if there's anything to add that is related to how he played that isn't mentioned there, then feel free to share it.
Shula didn't like him. If voters talked to him about HOF I would doubt he would not have said good things. Did they ask him? Don't know. But he would not have gone out of his way to promote (and he did do this) him. Shula was very active in promoting Stephenson, Kuech .. "his guys".