Wondering if this will work

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
conace21

Re: Wondering if this will work

Post by conace21 »

I also disagree with this proposal for a set queue. I believe the discussion should be reopened every year. As Gary Myers wrote on Twitter, sometimes there are new voters on the Senior committee. Sometimes voters do additional research over the course of a year, and change their minds.

It is true that nothing about their cases has changed from last year, when Gradishar, Sharpe and Bob K were #4-6. But it's also true that all three of these candidates were already up for election and got passed over. Bob K reached the final stage at least once, and did not get the 80% needed for induction into Canton. Nothing about his career has changed since then, so why should he be up for Canton again?

This is nothing against these three candidates; indeed, Gradishar is by far my favorite post-1960 Senior.

On a personal note, I also disagree with this, because it would automatically eliminate Dilweg from the 2024/2025 class. I know he is a long shot as is, but I prefer not to lower that to 0% odds.
And after next year, the "three-Senior nominees per class" rule is up, with no guarantee that it would be extended.

If any additional change is proposed, it should be to include one SuperSenior among the three candidates. Keep the focus for change narrow, instead of throwing a bunch of proposals at the Hall's board.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks conace21 ...

I realize that with this proposal, youre debating #4-6 for 2025 but what if Sharpe is elected? Wouldnt that give hope for Dilweg for 2025 and beyond? Also, lets say with this proposal that the three are nominated for 2024 and 2025. Come February, they still need the necessary 80% votes to be elected, unless they are automatically voted in. You wouldnt want Ken Anderson's family to celebrate his election for 2025, unless it was a certainty that he will be elected. I would be very happy if all nine candidates were elected before changes in 2026 ...
conace21

Post by conace21 »

As Ken Crippen said, Sharpe's election is more likely to hurt Dilweg than help him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I think it hurts more with Isbell's election because he is already a super senior. If Sharpe gets elected, thats one less Packer but a player that really wouldnt cancel Dilweg like Isbell and Lewellen do.
I think Lewellen is more qualified than any of them. A great offensive player who had the TDs scored, record until Hutson ... Also a good defensive player and probably the best punter till Baugh.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

conace21 wrote:I also disagree with this proposal for a set queue. I believe the discussion should be reopened every year. As Gary Myers wrote on Twitter, sometimes there are new voters on the Senior committee. Sometimes voters do additional research over the course of a year, and change their minds.

It is true that nothing about their cases has changed from last year, when Gradishar, Sharpe and Bob K were #4-6. But it's also true that all three of these candidates were already up for election and got passed over. Bob K reached the final stage at least once, and did not get the 80% needed for induction into Canton. Nothing about his career has changed since then, so why should he be up for Canton again?

This is nothing against these three candidates; indeed, Gradishar is by far my favorite post-1960 Senior.

On a personal note, I also disagree with this, because it would automatically eliminate Dilweg from the 2024/2025 class. I know he is a long shot as is, but I prefer not to lower that to 0% odds.
And after next year, the "three-Senior nominees per class" rule is up, with no guarantee that it would be extended.

If any additional change is proposed, it should be to include one SuperSenior among the three candidates. Keep the focus for change narrow, instead of throwing a bunch of proposals at the Hall's board.
I'll agree with you 100% on the that the set queue for the reasons you stated I will disagree slightly on kuechenberg
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I believe that Bob K had his shot at Canton, was rejected, and should no longer be considered. I'm just using that to illustrate why I disagree with the letter writers' reasoning.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

conace21 wrote:Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I believe that Bob K had his shot at Canton, was rejected, and should no longer be considered. I'm just using that to illustrate why I disagree with the letter writers' reasoning.
Well that's a good point in which I agree on thanks for the clarification I'm against the letter writers reasoning also
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

conace21 wrote:I also disagree with this proposal for a set queue. I believe the discussion should be reopened every year. As Gary Myers wrote on Twitter, sometimes there are new voters on the Senior committee. Sometimes voters do additional research over the course of a year, and change their minds.
I think the reality is the voters will keep on keeping on and there will be carryover, sure, but also each year is a new deal for reasons you state and also new additions that may have better cases than older ones.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

JohnTurney wrote:
I think the reality is the voters will keep on keeping on and there will be carryover, sure, but also each year is a new deal for reasons you state and also new additions that may have better cases than older ones.
The race for 4-9 will be very very interesting and has my interest
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

rewing84 wrote: The race for 4-9 will be very very interesting and has my interest

SENIOR CANDIDATES (12)

Ken Anderson, QB

Maxie Baughan, LB

Roger Craig, RB

Randy Gradishar, LB

Joe Jacoby, OT

Albert Lewis, CB

Steve McMichael, DT

Eddie Meador, DB

Art Powell, WR

Sterling Sharpe, QR

Otis Taylor, QR