Brandon Jacobs on RBs

racepug

Brandon Jacobs on RBs

Post by racepug »

Ex-Giant Brandon Jacobs is of the opinion that "if [the N.F.L. is] no longer going to respect RBs, then eliminate the position." What say you?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ex-giant-b ... 21278.html

Turns out that OTHER RBs in the league are miffed about the "devaluation" of RBs in the N.F.L. these days: https://sports.yahoo.com/derrick-henry- ... 01037.html
Bryan

Re: Brandon Jacobs on RBs

Post by Bryan »

I don't think that's really true. The RB position kind of ebbs and flows.

I remember when this came out in 1990, and then Barry and Emmitt kind of dominated the rest of the decade. At some point the RB will become more of the focal point in offense, either due to some strategy element, rule change, or just a great incoming RB class. I think the year OJ was drafted, Dickie Post led the AFL in rushing with like 879 yards. Its hard to make definitive statements.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

They are lucky to get second contracts ... used up and spat out. Other than Henry, will another back reach 10,000 yards rushing? What the Chargers are doing to Ekeler is ridiculous.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Stems from teams winning SBs without elite RBs...but there has been that kind of thing before
especially with rushing champions. Some have won it but the ones who were not
complete didn't get it done as much...Simpson, Dickerson, Campbell, etc...

It's more pronounced now ... but the guys who are most valuable are compete
guys CMC, etc run, catch, block ...

I wonder, and just talking out loud here, if the lax enforcement of holding
calls on zone runs allows a good back to be very good and a very good
back to be great... in other words the way things are being called
minimizes the skill differences in truly great backs and the really good ones,

Same as with passing rules---guys putting up big numbers because pass
pro is better and receivers not at Irisk, i.e. good QBs look better than they
would if rules were more like 2000 or 1990 and so on.

Maybe if linemen we called for holding and had to block better defenders
would get off block and stop the backs that are not great forcing teams
to get an elite back (one they have to pay a lot) who can make a defender
miss, the very thing that separates the men from the boys.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnTurney wrote:Stems from teams winning SBs without elite RBs
This. Another view: https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-running-ba ... 42133.html
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:Same as with passing rules---guys putting up big numbers because pass
pro is better and receivers not at Irisk, i.e. good QBs look better than they
would if rules were more like 2000 or 1990 and so on.
I've thought the same thing. QBs no longer have to be 'good' to consistently complete passes. And because of all the rule changes protecting QBs/WRs and handcuffing the defense, NFL offense can now just run college stuff and get away with it. So you also have rookie QBs making big impacts in the NFL because they are able to continue running the same offense that they ran in college...there isn't much of a learning curve. I watched Justin Herbert in college...I thought he was decent but nothing special...and then he ends up winning ROY. I didn't think Lamar Jackson would last in the NFL...his passing was too inaccurate and NFL defenses would just crush him every time he ran. But with the rules set up so you can't cover WRs closely or hit the QB when he's running, Jackson has had success at the NFL level. I think if Herbert and Jackson played in a different era, they wouldn't have made any impact.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like Mike Florio speculated, the best thing young RBs can do entering the NFL is to hold out/hold in after their third season and demand a second contract without the team using up the rookie deal.
Of course the player has to have an excellent third season to warrant it. When Barkley for NY got hurt his third year, the team had the leverage not to give him a new contract which leads him to a possible holdout now. Especially after Jones got paid for mediocrity. If backs want to get paid, its simple ... play every game and make an impact. After the third year, make noise and get paid, hopefully it will be for more than 8-10 million per year.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brian wolf wrote:Like Mike Florio speculated, the best thing young RBs can do entering the NFL is to hold out/hold in after their third season and demand a second contract without the team using up the rookie deal.
Of course the player has to have an excellent third season to warrant it. When Barkley for NY got hurt his third year, the team had the leverage not to give him a new contract which leads him to a possible holdout now. Especially after Jones got paid for mediocrity. If backs want to get paid, its simple ... play every game and make an impact. After the third year, make noise and get paid, hopefully it will be for more than 8-10 million per year.
I assume you mean Aaron Jones? he averaged 5.3 YPC last year and is at 5.1 for his career. That's somewhat better than mediocre.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Daniel Jones the Giants QB ... Got a big contract for doing nothing till last year.