Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
ChrisBabcock

Re: Gradishar, Art Powell, Steve McMichael Senior Committee Nomi

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I would back Herschel Walker for the HOVG. And yes, because of his USFL years and taking that into consideration. I realize that the PFHOF does not consider players' USFL careers because of reasons stated above, but why do we need to follow their lead?
racepug

Post by racepug »

I don't really remember Randy Gradishar all that well (even though my team played for many years in his team's division - maybe that's why I don't remember much about him: selective memory! :lol: ) but I know one person who once e-mailed me "I'd've put Randy Gradishar in the P.F.H.o.F. before half the LBs who are already there" so I guess he must've been pretty good. Art Powell played before my time but as a Raiders fan from the '70s I'm glad he's being considered. Steve McMichael? I remember him from those fearsome Bears defenses of the '80s and I feel bad that he's in the shape he's in right now but I have no real opinion on whether or not he's truly H.o.F.-worthy. I'll leave that for others to decide.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

readjack wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:39 pm My colleague Jeff Schlegel suggested another possible player who can benefit from Powell's election: Billy Howton.

https://twitter.com/TheJeffSchlegel/sta ... 4474762299
I agree that Howton could benefit, but I think comparing Howton to Powell is like comparing Andy Robustelli to Len Ford. Powell was like a color TV football player playing on black and white film.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JameisSaintston wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:06 am You seem to be highlighting an issue that is merely perceptual rather than objective with regard to Walker, but one that is also not likely to go away at this point. I reckon his USFL is going to be a factor in his getting elected HOVG right away.
Ripped from the PFRA forum headlines!

There is no right or wrong answer, as it is all conjecture. I guess I never really thought about it terms of actual numbers, except when someone like Ange hypes up Abner Haynes or Charley Hennigan for the HOF and the numbers simply aren’t there regardless of competition level. I loved the USFL back in the day, and I think the USFL was better than the AFL in years 1-3 of its existence. That said, how much stock can you put in a league where Cliff Stoudt can go from being the worst starting QB in the NFL to immediately one of the best in the USFL? The USFL was dominated by RBs. The top 5 RBs in the USFL in 1985 were Herschel Walker, Bill Johnson, Gary Anderson, Kelvin Bryant (arguably best USFL player ever) and Mike Rozier. Lets look at their combined 1985 USFL stats versus their combined 1986 NFL stats:

USFL = 1484 carries, 7447 yards, 5.0 YPC, 76 TDs
NFL = 585 carries, 2325 yards, 3.9 YPC, 20 TDs

The drop off is startling. The production is less than 1/3 of the USFL rate.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats true Bryan, but like I have also stated plenty of times on this forum, Walker needed more carries and coaches thought he took too long to get into the flow of the game which is why they threw to him more. Walker was underrated as a receiver but its hard to wear down the defense getting only 10-12 carries a game. Emmitt Smith used to criticize the coaches as well when they didnt give him the ball ...
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

readjack wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:39 pm
Unlikely. PFHOF views leagues that the NFL essentially absorbed (AAFC, AFL) as statistical extensions of the NFL, with other leagues (USFL, CFL) left out.
Unfortunately, the NFL does not see it the same way regarding the AAFC.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

RIP Eddie Meador

So close to election, hopefully he isnt ignored next senior election.
readjack

Post by readjack »

Ken, I reached out to the Hall in September to clarify the exclusion of Damon Allen from the preliminary list, since our guy Vinny nominated him specifically to test if he'd make it on. Here's what Rich told me:

"If a person played pro football under the rules of the American game, then he would be eligible for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. So, you are correct on the Flutie/yes, Allen/no for Hall nomination. The CFL playing by different rules on a different sized field (etc) has been a differentiator."
Ken Crippen wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:04 pm
readjack wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:39 pm
Unlikely. PFHOF views leagues that the NFL essentially absorbed (AAFC, AFL) as statistical extensions of the NFL, with other leagues (USFL, CFL) left out.
Unfortunately, the NFL does not see it the same way regarding the AAFC.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Jack ... it really shouldnt matter with different rules, fields or leagues. It should be about players and coaches who excelled professionally. I think the HOF is biased towards NFL players because these players were seen by major network audiences, while CFL, WFL, AFL(Arena)players were not. Is that the fault of the players? No, due to different networks covering the leagues but the major American networks have more influence on the PFHOF. Thats why Allen, Flutie, Gilchrist and others wont get elected but they should have an opportunity with the HOVG.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:47 pm Thanks Jack ... it really shouldnt matter with different rules, fields or leagues.
Then I nominate Gary "God" Ablett for the HOVG!