Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

JameisBrownston

Re: Worst RBs/WRs with a 1000 yard season?

Post by JameisBrownston »

RIP to the second of three 20th century receivers named Mike Williams, who fits this career arc well. He actually had two seasons at almost 1000 yards (996 the second time), but disappeared quickly after that.

RIP also to Alex Collins, who had 1000 YFS in 2017 and didn't do a lot after that. But his Irish jig TD celebrations were the stuff.

Give one up for these waiver-wire heroes. They are not forgotten.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Brian wolf wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:51 pm Getting back to Bob Mann, you have to wonder if the Lions purposely low-balled him to keep any present or future black players in line? Maybe they felt employing him during the offseason to a brewery owned by a Detroit executive would be thorough compensation but he was determined to get proper football payment.
I don't think it was quite that Machiavellian.
The Lions had gone 4-8 in 1949 despite Mann and they were changing their offense because of two rookies, Doak Walker and Leon Hart. Hart was 6-5 and 260 pounds or so to Mann's 5-11 (maybe) and 175 pounds, and Hart became a tight end (although he wasn't called that), with a lot of blocking to do. Cloyce Box, who had played wingback in the Wing-T in 1949, was moved to end and was usually a split end, while Walker saw a lot of duty as a flanker.
Mann wasn't going to be a starter any more, so they didn't want to pay him starting money.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Ralph, they definitely took a chance on Box, who became a great target for Bobby Layne. Had he not gotten hurt in 1954, the Lions might have beaten the Browns three years in a row but who knows?

Ironically, Mann, Hart and Box were basically done in 1954 and Walker would retire after 1955.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I'd never seen the full photo of this....that's Bob Mann trying to break up the Night Train INT.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Ebbets.com had a #87 Bob Mann GB jersey but discontinued it, or sold out. It currently is not for sale on the website.
JameisBrownston

His career's still going, but I doubt he breaks 1000 again, so shoutout to DJ Chark as one of the clearest recent examples of this trope at WR. I was actually surprised to learn he was a 2nd round pick while checking his PFR card; I was pretty sure he'd been a 4th or 5th. But I will never get Baby Chark, do-doo do-doo do-doo... out of my head.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of disappointments, whatever happened with Kelvin Benjamin? He started strong with Carolina but then got hurt, bounced back but then went downhill with Buffalo and KC. Injuries or just lost speed and desire? He was a huge receiver who could have kept developing with Cam Newton.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:55 am Speaking of disappointments, whatever happened with Kelvin Benjamin? He started strong with Carolina but then got hurt, bounced back but then went downhill with Buffalo and KC. Injuries or just lost speed and desire? He was a huge receiver who could have kept developing with Cam Newton.
Benjamin did not have great desire and then got chubby and became ineffective.
JameisBrownston

JWL wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:24 am Benjamin did not have great desire and then got chubby and became ineffective.
He did have great desire, but it was only evident at the Golden Corral.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of one of the worst receivers with a 1000 yard season, we have to include Sammy Watkins. Yes, he made plays in the 2019/20 postseason to get his SB ring but disappeared in the 2020/21 postseason. With his size and speed coming out of college, one of the NFL's biggest disappointments out of the receiver position. He has alot of fans, especially in KC and Buffalo but he never could seem to stay on the field. In six of his nine pro seasons, he caught 3 TDs or less.