OL throwing a TD pass

Bryan

OL throwing a TD pass

Post by Bryan »

I saw a Div. II college football play where some reverse trick play got botched up, and an OL ended up with the ball. After running a few yards, the OL was cornered so he lofted a pass to a guy who was wide open for a TD. I'm guessing its pretty rare for an OL to throw a TD...has this ever happened in the NFL?
RichardBak

Re: OL throwing a TD pass

Post by RichardBak »

If it ever did, it'd have to be the Lions. Only in their case the play would've wound up a pick-6. And the OL would've torn his achilles.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I remember Jeff Saturday throwing an incompletion that should have been ruled an illegal forward pass but it was the last play of the game so the infraction was never called.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

In the NFL an ineligible receiver cannot throw a pass. They can catch a deflected pass or receive a lateral or handoff.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Cub Buck, a lineman (tackle, I believe) with the Packers in the 1920s, threw 15 or 20 passes two or three years in a row. But in his case, he was the team's main punter, so presumably those passes were all thrown from punt formation, when he was lined up in the backfield, which is not the same thing.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Here is the list of offensive linemen who have passed, rushed, or received since 1950:

https://www.quirkyresearch.com/2022/11/ ... -received/
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

65 toss power trap wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:21 pm Here is the list of offensive linemen who have passed, rushed, or received since 1950:

https://www.quirkyresearch.com/2022/11/ ... -received/
This is great stuff. I've watched all the video clips. It seems like Gary Wood learned from Fran Tarkenton in terms of pitching the ball to linemen.