Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Discuss candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the PFRA's Hall of Very Good
SeahawkFever

Re: Modern Candidates HOF Preliminary List

Post by SeahawkFever »

Brian wolf wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:53 pm Can O'Neil get past the semifinals? Will Webb and Wisniewski get some headway? Interesting stories but Thomas just didnt have enough accolades, despite absorbing blockers, like Ted Washington.

With all the pass rushers, its hard for Neil Smith, Abraham and Rice to get traction as well. Rice and Nickerson have a hard road because Sapp, Lynch, Barber and Brooks have been voted in.
O'Neil wasn't in the preliminary ballot for 2024. Given that he played his last game in 1999, isn't he eligible for the Hall of Very Good?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

O' Neil didnt make the semifinal cut but he should have. Was a great pass rusher and good against the run but just slipped through the cracks. The wide receiver logjam is overrated but the DE, pass rushing logjam has some great players, past and present.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Agreed 100% Brian there is a massive logjam at the de/ dt position
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

SeahawkFever wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:21 am O'Neil wasn't in the preliminary ballot for 2024. Given that he played his last game in 1999, isn't he eligible for the Hall of Very Good?
One needs to be out of football for 25 years.
They are not eligible in their 25th year.

This upcoming year (if I am not mistaken) will have players who last played in 1998 become eligible for the HoVG.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JuggernautJ wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:07 pm
SeahawkFever wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:21 am O'Neil wasn't in the preliminary ballot for 2024. Given that he played his last game in 1999, isn't he eligible for the Hall of Very Good?
One needs to be out of football for 25 years.
They are not eligible in their 25th year.

This upcoming year (if I am not mistaken) will have players who last played in 1998 become eligible for the HoVG.
That’s right. Players like Albert Lewis and Pat Swilling will become eligible for the HOVG. Leslie O’Neal has to wait another year.

Another first time elegibles this year are a pair of 4-time Pro Bowlers: William Fuller and Ken Harvey.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

OF those you named, I think Swilling might have the best argument. Four all pro selections counting second teams, and five pro bowls as well as 107.5 sacks and a DPOY.

Another question (I'm new here): At what point in the year would you say it would be appropriate to mention someone as a nominee for the Hall of Very Good class of 2024. I've thought of a few people who deserve a look.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

SeahawkFever wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:45 am Another question (I'm new here): At what point in the year would you say it would be appropriate to mention someone as a nominee for the Hall of Very Good class of 2024. I've thought of a few people who deserve a look.
Welcome, Fever.
It is always good to see a new face around here; it means interest in the history of our favorite game is growing.

https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... c932daac5b
The Process for HoVG Selection:
1. Any current member of the PFRA may submit 5 names in nomination for the HoVG.
This usually happens in April or May.

2. Each Committee member (9) then ranks their top 20 choices of those nominated from 1 to 20. Points are awarded in inverse order. The top 20 vote getters are submitted to the organization as finalists for the HoVG. This is done shortly after the nomination period is closed.

3. The body politic of the PFRA votes, usually by Halloween (October 31st).
They do so by selecting exactly 10 of the 20 finalists for enshrinement into the HoVG.

4. All of those who appear on 55% of ballots are elected, up to a maximum of 10. The minimum is seven so seven are elected even if fewer than seven receive 55% (the next closest vote getters).

Watch this space (section of the boards) for the announcement of when nominations are open and to whom to email them.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Each player only has to be nominated once to have a chance, right? If so, how do I make sure I don't waste nominations on players that someone else already nominated? Just put in my email "if someone else nominated any of these players, give me back those selections"?
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

JameisSaintston wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:21 pm Each player only has to be nominated once to have a chance, right? If so, how do I make sure I don't waste nominations on players that someone else already nominated? Just put in my email "if someone else nominated any of these players, give me back those selections"?
You'll get a reply... "Someone else has already nominated so and so. Feel free to nominate someone else in his place."
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Perfect. So duplicate nominations don't contribute to a player's chances, then, are are just returned to sender automatically?