1965 NFL Playoff at Green Bay

JoeZagorski

1965 NFL Playoff at Green Bay

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hi Guys!
Does anyone know who were the referees in the 1965 NFL Playoff game between Baltimore and Green Bay? Most specifically, does anyone know who was the referee under the goalpost who declared that Don Chandler's game-tying field goal attempt was good? Thanks!
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
65 toss power trap

Re: 1965 NFL Playoff at Green Bay

Post by 65 toss power trap »

R 56 Norm Schachter
U 15 Ralph Morcroft
HL 4 Bruce Finlayson
LJ 24 Bruce Alford
FJ 32 Jim Tunney
BJ 14 Frank Luzar

It was the field judge, Jim Tunney, who ruled on the field goal. He was in his 6th season that year and was promoted to referee in 1967. He retired in 1991, his 31th season, tied for 2nd all time with Ben Dreith who started and ended in the same seasons.

Incidentally, the NFL recognized record is 32 seasons by HL Dan Tehan, but our research is showing that he actually might be less than 30.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks 65 TPT!
Joe Zagorski
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

It looks as if the officials blew it on the tying field goal. I remember on the first play Bill Anderson catching a pass then fumbling it. LB Don Shinnick recovered the loose ball and returned it for a touchdown. I think Leonard Lyles stripped the Ball from Anderson. I cannot remember who took Bart Starr out of the play and the rest of the game.

Zeke Bradkowski was a great back for Starr several times. Don Chinneck made the game first turnover of the game. Oddly enough, he intercepted
a pass against the Cleveland Browns in the title game the previous year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Colts were robbed regardless. They would have lost to Cleveland, even if they had won this game because Ed Brown was ruled ineligible for postseason. Even had they rallied around Tom Matte, the Browns I think had too much firepower, though Gino Marchetti would have been a mad-dog going after Frank Ryan, who he believed ran up the score in the game the year before.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I saw the game on TV. After the early fumble Bill Anderson had the best game of his career. He made eight receptions, several during the key late-game drives.

Bill Anderson played for the Washington Redskins from 1958-63, making the Pro Bowl twice, 1959 and 1960. He left the NFL in 1964 to be an assistant coach at his alma mater, Tennessee. Vince Lombardi talked him into coming to the Packers for the 1965 season, retiring after 1966.

Bill Anderson was the analyst for the University of Tennessee football radio network from 1968-1998. He died in 2017, age 80.

Zeke Bratkowski was the type of backup QB who could come off the bench and win a game.