Favorite football scenes in non football movies

sheajets

Favorite football scenes in non football movies

Post by sheajets »

I don't mean movies that use footage from actual games, rather scenes that try to recreate something from a pro or college game or practice. I find being a football nerd I tend to pick these apart rather ferociously and missed opportunities and inaccuracies irritate me far more than I should :D

I remember seeing Forrest Gump in theaters, one particular scene has him running onto the field during an Alabama practice and outrunning a receiver who was hauling in a long pass...of course you have Bear Bryant and his assistance all stand up and take notice. In the movie I believe Gump received a scholarship in 1962. I thought my God what a missed opportunity. For a movie that packed in so many historical figures and moments, how does nobody realize you should've had a young Joe Namath there throwing that pass (in the book it took place during the Stabler era)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-NdUq_tqs&t=149s

One of my favorite little scenes was in the movie The Pursuit of Happyness. Though for a movie set in 1981 why did they get the Giants uniforms so wrong? :D They really need to bring in some football historians to ensure accuracy (I hate being "that guy")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMVNY76PKQ

What are some of your favorite scenes
ChrisBabcock

Re: Favorite football scenes in non football movies

Post by ChrisBabcock »

There was a hilarious football themed Three Stooges episode. The title of it escapes me. 😄
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Depends whether or not you classify "The Last Boy Scout" as a "football movie" or not, but the opening was great. Had a whole "Friday Night Football" theme/intro and of course the game action in the rain.

The theme/intro was funny because it showed clips from BYU-Texas A&M when it was a primetime game for their fictional PRO football league.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The football scenes in M*A*S*H were cool and then there is the young Clark Kent in the 1978 Superman film, punting the football out of frustration a few miles into the stratosphere
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

A lot of people's go to is M*A*S*H* . . . it has Buck Buchanan, Ben Davidson, Timmy Brown, Fred Williamson, Warren MvVea and others in it

In "When Harry Met Sally" Brun Kirby and Billy Chrystal at doing the wave in Giants Stadium discuss "Helen leaving" and it has some good game shots in it

"Night Moves" with Gene Hackman (for Pro Bowl Raiders) has scenes from the Colesium in it
so did "The Split" with Jim Brown (also with Gene Hackman)

"Where the Buffalo Roam" (Bill Murray as Hunter S. Thompson) has a poor scene of the Super Bowl media box

I liked the University of Indiana football practice the guys were watching in "Breaking Away" when Mike was lamenting his lost football career.

One of the best is "Foolin' Around" with Gary Busey. He's a sideline photographer at a Vikings game ... real action in the background that was shot on the sideline.

"John Goldfarb, Please Come Home!" has a long football scene in it with rag-tag players in the Middle East versus Norte Dame ... The McKeever brothers are in that one.

Same with Black Sunday but that is kind of a football movie/terrorist movie, so not sure if that fits the criteria here

Point Break's beach game with "Johnny Utah" and Bodhi going into the waves was a good scene with bad touch football.

The football scene in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was comedic ... in fact, a lot of high school movies have a football scene in them
even ones that are not highschool football movies but the production of Fast Times was good ... but on the rediculous side.

"Christine" had a football scene in it ... the car cases an injury.

Outside Providence, good scene at old "Schaefer Stadium" when older brother cons his way into Patriots game. I really liked that movie.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

There was a hilarious football themed Three Stooges episode. The title of it escapes me. 😄

Three Little Pigskins from 1934 also starring a very young Lucille Ball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JccLYwp ... eestoooges

Other movies featuring football scenes by comedy teams

Horse Feathers the Marx Brothers 1932
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Qlk7s ... Movieclips

Hold That Line The Bowery Boys 1952

The Freshman Harold Lloyd 1925
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxxW5uU ... ssicMovies

Life Begins in College The Ritz Brothers 1937
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMJe9K ... RetroMaven
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

The Fortune Cookie (1966) partially filmed in Cleveland, at Cleveland Stadium. Walter Matthau as a shyster ambulance chasing lawyer and cameraman Jack Lemmon "hurt" on the sidelines at the game (Browns-Vikings). Ernie Green was in it as the player who ran into Lemmon. Pretty good movie.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:33 pm Ernie Green was in it as the player who ran into Lemmon. Pretty good movie.
Think that was Ron Rich ... interestingly he wore Leroy Kelly's number. "Boom Boom"
some game action in that -- pre NFL FIlms ...
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:25 pm
Cali_Eagle wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:33 pm Ernie Green was in it as the player who ran into Lemmon. Pretty good movie.
Think that was Ron Rich ... interestingly he wore Leroy Kelly's number. "Boom Boom"
some game action in that -- pre NFL FIlms ...
This is from Wikipedia:

According to The Saturday Evening Post, additional footage was shot the day after the game with Browns players as themselves and the Vikings. Luther "Boom Boom" Jackson's uniform number 44 was actually worn by Leroy Kelly, who was deemed "too small to pass for actor Ron Rich at close range" according to the Post. Ernie Green and a stunt performer both stood in for Rich, with the latter only for the sideline collision scene.

So assuming TSEP and Wiki have it right, we are both right!