Dick Gordon, 1970 Bears season

Bryan

Dick Gordon, 1970 Bears season

Post by Bryan »

Always found it odd that Dick Gordon led the NFL in receiving in 1970. The Bears offense wasn't very good. They had 1092 yards rushing (17 from Gordon) and their leading rusher had 229 yards. I'm guessing this is the lowest team leading total in modern history. Gordon almost had more receiving yards (1026) than the team did rushing yards. The Bears QB was Jack Concannon, who was the typical Bears QB in that he was big, fast, had a strong arm, and was completely unable to throw a football with accuracy. He started for four years, and was one of the worst QBs to start 4 years with one club. He was slightly better in 1970, but was still below the league average. Gordon would play 4 more seasons after 1970, and would accumulate 654 yards. It's interesting to me that Gordon never had a big season before 1970, never had a big season after 1970, yet the Bears had pretty much the same personnel in 1970 as in other years yet Gordon was a dominant player.
Brian wolf

Re: Dick Gordon, 1970 Bears season

Post by Brian wolf »

Its too bad Jim Seymour couldnt help the Bears more. He had injury problems from day one with the Rams after being heralded coming out of Notre Dame.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:04 pm It's interesting to me that Gordon never had a big season before 1970
Was accused the previous years of having a bad attitude. Maybe what we'd now call a diva. Wanted the ball more. Bears also had issues with his big Afro and stylish clothing. He was the first or one of the first to wear 1960s-type clothing and it rubbed Dooley (maybe Halas) wrong. The criticism made him sullen, withdrawn. Maybe that was reflected in his play or the Bears' willingness to throw to him. That and poor quarterbacks.

In 1970 he had a better attitude was friendly and well-liked. It began early in the year then he had some good games and then stayed on a roll. I honestly don't know why he was happy-go-lucky that year. Maybe he was giving it the old college try after few years of being more of a "me" guy.

After 1970 he played out his option ... so he had to take a pay cut for 1971. Things reverted to the way they were. At some point, Gordon said in magazine or papers or something maybe both, also in a speech, the front office "hated" him and there was a conspiracy against him. Halas took offense, I guess he thought that's who Gordon was referring to him.

Essentially Gordon felt Bears (Halas) have racial issues with Blacks and he was vocal about it. Halas said Gordon was a liar.

After 1971 the Rams signed him as a free agent and the Rozelle rule meant that the Bears got a #1 draft pick for Gordon, who did nothing for the Rams.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

I tried to find an interview with Dick Gordon, wasn't successful. Doesn't help that there are a couple of other Dick Gordons with noteriety, including an astronaut.

You have to consider the times, the early 1970s, the number of players who were balking at the NFL system for one reason or another. Joe Kapp, Meggysy, Chip Oliver, Duane Thomas, the list goes on. Also the financial angle, players testing the Rozelle Rule/option year free agency. Not like today where players could actually find a better gig. At the time if you wanted that it came at a cost.

Also the Bears were heading into the Abe Gibron years which were a nadir in many ways. Halas was accused of being a cheapskate for years after the 1963 champs, kind of slid by on Sayers and Butkus though no playoffs, now this period was ending. Butkus had disputes with Halas, Concannon would split to be third string in Dallas the same time as Gordon left. Some players like Jim Cadile and Ross Brupbacher more or less retired rather than playing for these teams.

Plus Halas fought Gordon in 1972 and Gordon didn't sign with the Rams until mid October. The Rams were not a throwing team anyway and had established receivers with Snow and Rentzel. Rentzel would get suspended in 1973 but Harold Jackson came in the Gabriel trade. Gordon wound up on the Packers in late 1973, a team that needed passing help, but didn't do much there and got traded to the Patriots after the season, who cut him in camp. There again you've got some other options in Rucker, Vataha, Stingley. Gordon wound up with the Chargers in 1974 who actually had needs but again didn't do much.

I think he was a seven year veteran once he got out of Chicago and just lost his edge once he was delayed in leaving and didn't find a good landing spot. Plus the early 1970s was not exactly a great time to be a receiver.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:27 pm The Rams were not a throwing team anyway and had established receivers with Snow and Rentzel. Rentzel would get suspended in 1973 but Harold Jackson came in the Gabriel trade. Gordon wound up on the Packers in late 1973
Rams wanted to pass but Gabriel has a sore arm all year. Prothro was a supposed offensive mind and actually ran some three-receiver sets but their third receivers were lacking in 1971 and 1972 Maslowski, then Love and Sweet. Gordon was supposed to be an upgrade but he got hurt with a couple of things.

When the Rams would spread it out, and go slot, they'd have to put a TE out wide sometimes when a receiver would have been better at that. That was what Gordon was supposed to be for. So with sore-armed Gabriel and only two reliable but averaged speed receivers they ran the ball more than the wanted. But the intent was to use Gordon, it just didn't work out.

Then in 1973, they were not a passing team, as you rightly point out. At first, Gordon completed with Jack Snow at flanker. Snow had been moved from split end because Jackson was acquired and he was going to be the guy on the single-receiver side. Now way Snow could beat him out.

Gordon got reps in preseason, hurt a shoulder. Missed time there. Then got in a fight with Dick Vermeil and that is why Rams waived him. The Rams tired receiver was Rod Sherman, who played both SE and FL in the preseason, so maybe more versatile, but you'd have to think Gordon (healthy at that time) would have been the better player. But the Rams just didn't run 3-receiver sets that I know of..they had to have had them...but unlike Prothro knows wasn't going to open things up. Anyway, when playoffs came around rams signed Don Maynard as insurance but didn't even activate him for the playoff game. So they must have been comfortable with Sherman if they ever had someone go down.

It is interesting that Prothro signed him in 1974. Maybe he saw something he liked in 1972 before Gordon broke his ribs -- just wondering about that.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:21 pm
Jay Z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:27 pm The Rams were not a throwing team anyway and had established receivers with Snow and Rentzel. Rentzel would get suspended in 1973 but Harold Jackson came in the Gabriel trade. Gordon wound up on the Packers in late 1973
Rams wanted to pass but Gabriel has a sore arm all year. Prothro was a supposed offensive mind and actually ran some three-receiver sets but their third receivers were lacking in 1971 and 1972 Maslowski, then Love and Sweet. Gordon was supposed to be an upgrade but he got hurt with a couple of things.

When the Rams would spread it out, and go slot, they'd have to put a TE out wide sometimes when a receiver would have been better at that. That was what Gordon was supposed to be for. So with sore-armed Gabriel and only two reliable but averaged speed receivers they ran the ball more than the wanted. But the intent was to use Gordon, it just didn't work out.

Then in 1973, they were not a passing team, as you rightly point out. At first, Gordon completed with Jack Snow at flanker. Snow had been moved from split end because Jackson was acquired and he was going to be the guy on the single-receiver side. Now way Snow could beat him out.

Gordon got reps in preseason, hurt a shoulder. Missed time there. Then got in a fight with Dick Vermeil and that is why Rams waived him. The Rams tired receiver was Rod Sherman, who played both SE and FL in the preseason, so maybe more versatile, but you'd have to think Gordon (healthy at that time) would have been the better player. But the Rams just didn't run 3-receiver sets that I know of..they had to have had them...but unlike Prothro knows wasn't going to open things up. Anyway, when playoffs came around rams signed Don Maynard as insurance but didn't even activate him for the playoff game. So they must have been comfortable with Sherman if they ever had someone go down.

It is interesting that Prothro signed him in 1974. Maybe he saw something he liked in 1972 before Gordon broke his ribs -- just wondering about that.
Thanks. From what I knew there were some injuries in there which would make it difficult to get established again.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:24 pm

Thanks. From what I knew there were some injuries in there which would make it difficult to get established again.
I don't know anything about what happened in 1974. I only know about Rams injuries -- the '72 ribs and the '73 shoulder. If there were others I am unaware of them -- you'd know more than me on that.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnTurney wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:42 pm
Jay Z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:24 pm

I don't know anything about what happened in 1974. I only know about Rams injuries -- the '72 ribs and the '73 shoulder. If there were others I am unaware of them -- you'd know more than me on that.
Gordon only played two games with the Packers before going on IR with broken ribs. So there were two different rib injuries.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Jay Z wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:15 pm
Gordon only played two games with the Packers before going on IR with broken ribs. So there were two different rib injuries.
Thanks, I didn't know that... two years in a row ... interesting
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

I interviewed Jack Concannon in the 1990s and he talked about his relationship with Dick Gordon. Yes, there were racial issues but one day Concannon took a magazine article about how Miami's Bob Griese was working well with newly acquired WR Paul Warfield and tossed it at Gordon sitting near his locker. Gordon looked at it and Concannon asked him,"Why can't we do that?" Gordon replied:"Are you serious?". Concannon shot back:"Yeah!". So for that one season they worked well together and Gordon got plenty of throws sent his way.