Most versatile touchdown scorer?

Bob Gill

Most versatile touchdown scorer?

Post by Bob Gill »

My guess is that only one player has ever scored touchdowns by rushing and receiving; returning punts, kickoffs and interceptions; and also threw for at least one touchdown, all in the same season. Can you name him? Hint: He set a more significant pro football record the following season.
Sonny9

Re: Most versatile touchdown scorer?

Post by Sonny9 »

I came close
1941 McAfee
rushing -yes
receiving -yes
returning punts -yes, kickoffs -yes
interceptions - no
threw for at least one touchdown -yes
2 other TDs listed as from laterals
Hint: He set a more significant pro football record the following season -no
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Then I thought Dudley 1947, but missed the KO TD. Although he had a 78 yarder but nothing significant the next year
After thinking about it I remembered that there was another league. That's where he is and he checks all the boxes.
PA Wingman

Post by PA Wingman »

Spec Sanders 1946?
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

PA Wingman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:28 am Spec Sanders 1946?
Yep, he's the one. Looks like Sonny9 had him first, though.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Sonny9 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:38 am Then I thought Dudley 1947, but missed the KO TD. Although he had a 78 yarder but nothing significant the next year
After thinking about it I remembered that there was another league. That's where he is and he checks all the boxes.
Speaking of Dudley as a versatile player, he's the best ever at filling up all the statistical categories: rushing, passing, receiving, punting, kicking, interceptions, punt returns, kickoff returns. There are a number of guys from the two-platoon days who checked six of those eight categories, let's say, and a few who checked them all -- but in those cases it usually means they kicked four extra points one year, or threw a total of 12 passes in a whole career. But Dudley compiled serious totals in all of them. (Granted, he was a lousy passer, even for his era, but threw more than 200 passes altogether, and twice threw 90 or more in a season.)

Of course, if the NFL had been counting punt, kickoff and interception returns from the beginning, quite a few players would've matched Dudley's wide range of accomplishments -- guys like Paddy Driscoll, Ken Strong, Dutch Clark and so on.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bob Gill wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:23 pm
Sonny9 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:38 am Then I thought Dudley 1947, but missed the KO TD. Although he had a 78 yarder but nothing significant the next year
Speaking of Dudley as a versatile player, he's the best ever at filling up all the statistical categories: rushing, passing, receiving, punting, kicking, interceptions, punt returns, kickoff returns. There are a number of guys from the two-platoon days who checked six of those eight categories, let's say, and a few who checked them all -- but in those cases it usually means they kicked four extra points one year, or threw a total of 12 passes in a whole career. But Dudley compiled serious totals in all of them. (Granted, he was a lousy passer, even for his era, but threw more than 200 passes altogether, and twice threw 90 or more in a season.)

Of course, if the NFL had been counting punt, kickoff and interception returns from the beginning, quite a few players would've matched Dudley's wide range of accomplishments -- guys like Paddy Driscoll, Ken Strong, Dutch Clark and so on.
Johnny Blood told me the ideal backfield would be 4 Bill Dudleys.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

rhickok1109 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:02 am Johnny Blood told me the ideal backfield would be 4 Bill Dudleys.
I don't know ... A team like that would have a very weak passing attack. Maybe three Dudleys and Sammy Baugh or Sid Luckman. Now THAT would be a backfield.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bob Gill wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:37 pm
rhickok1109 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:02 am Johnny Blood told me the ideal backfield would be 4 Bill Dudleys.
I don't know ... A team like that would have a very weak passing attack. Maybe three Dudleys and Sammy Baugh or Sid Luckman. Now THAT would be a backfield.
Well, John also said that if he had to choose one player to build a team around, it would be Baugh...so three Dudleys and a Baugh sounds good to me :D
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Great responses. Dudley also first came to mind. Those not mentioned I would say Doak Walker and Charley Trippi.