The N.F.L. now embracing Xmas. . .

racepug

The N.F.L. now embracing Xmas. . .

Post by racepug »

. . .where it once avoided it: https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/t ... 1#nl-entry

I'm not old enough to really remember the famous Kansas City vs. Miami playoff game on Xmas Day, 1971 but I do remember that for the longest time after that we didn't see N.F.L. games on Christmas Day except maybe once or twice over several decades. The N.F.L. apparently feels confident enough in its popularity that that has now changed.
Bob Gill

Re: The N.F.L. now embracing Xmas. . .

Post by Bob Gill »

I remember one case specifically: In 1977 Christmas came on a Sunday, and the first round of playoffs took place that weekend. Two games were played on Saturday, the 24th, and two more on Monday, the 26th. None on the 25th.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Wow, I have very fond memories of that 1971 KC-Miami/Podolak Variety Show. I was in high school, just spent my first Christmas with my girlfriend (now my wife of 47 years), and came home to my toasty warm Detroit home where the whole fam-dam-ily was already deep into the lime vodka, kielbasa, and Polish ham. My grandparents lived with us, so we had 3 generations under one cozy little roof. The stuff of greeting cards and Hallmark movies, I guess, but I miss those days and all those that are long gone. Anyhoo, I watched that game in the living room and it just went on and on, Podolak piling up yardage, Christmas Day stretching into Christmas night...Gotta remember, OT games were extremely rare in those days. The only other ones up to then was Balt-NYG in '58, Hou-Dallas in '62, and Balt-GB in '65. So you knew just watching it you were sitting in on history. And that it was happening on Christmas made it seem a touch more special, maybe even slightly magical. Or maybe it was the lime vodka.

But sentimentality aside, the NFL did use to frown on playing on Christmas Day. I know that in 1954, when the Lions were pursuing a third straight NFL title, the championship game was played on Monday, Dec. 26. And wasn't the 1960 or '61 title game played the day after Christmas, as well? It seems they had no problem playing title games on Christmas Eve (1950 LA-Clev) or New Year's Eve (GB-Dallas), but not on the holiday itself.
Last edited by RichardBak on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Those were the glory days of the postseason, huddled around watching games before or after Christmas. Now they dont start till nearly Feb ... haha

That KC-Mia game was unbelievable but I only have the radio broadcast. I would pay top dollar for the television broadcast.
Dawson, Podolak, Griese and especially Paul Warfield, my favorite wide receiver, put on a show!
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Speaking of holiday calendars, I think I brought up this little oddity before....the two classic GB-Dallas title games were played on the first day (New Year's Day) and last day (New Year's Eve) of 1967. Not a bad way to ring in the new year and ring out the old, eh?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

RichardBak wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:59 pm Wow, I have very fond memories of that 1971 KC-Miami/Podolak Variety Show. I was in high school, just spent my first Christmas with my girlfriend (now my wife of 47 years), and came home to my toasty warm Detroit home where the whole fam-dam-ily was already deep into the lime vodka, kielbasa, and Polish ham. My grandparents lived with us, so we had 3 generations under one cozy little roof. The stuff of greeting cards and Hallmark movies, I guess, but I miss those days and all those that are long gone. Anyhoo, I watched that game in the living room and it just went on and on, Podolak piling up yardage, Christmas Day stretching into Christmas night...Gotta remember, OT games were extremely rare in those days. The only other ones up to then was Balt-NYG in '58, Hou-Dallas in '62, and Balt-GB in '65. So you knew just watching it you were sitting in on history. And that it was happening on Christmas made it seem a touch more special, maybe even slightly magical.

But sentimentality aside, the NFL did use to frown on playing on Christmas Day. I know that in 1954, when the Lions were pursuing a third straight NFL title, the championship game was played on Monday, Dec. 26. And wasn't the 1960 or '61 title game played the day after Christmas, as well? It seems they had no problem playing title games on Christmas Eve (1950 LA-Clev) or New Year's Eve (GB-Dallas), but not on the holiday itself.
The 1960 Eagle-Packer title game was played on Monday, December 26. I saw it on TV. I recall the Packers having two long drives but settling for field goals and a 6-0 lead. Many times I've seen teams lose when settling for FGs and an early 6-0 lead.

1960 was the last 12-game season. From then the NFL title game was sandwiched around New Years Day. In 1961 it was played on December 31. Later as more Wildcard teams were added title games and Super Bowls kept being pushed farther back.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Well - it would appear that things have changed quite a bit since that K.C. vs. MIA playoff game 52 years ago: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfls-chris ... 14543.html
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Soon they'll be playing the World Series on Christmas Day. And the Super Bowl on Easter.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

It was in 1993 I believe, that the NFL first broke the 22 year "ban" on Christmas games with a contest between the Oilers and 49ers.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I wonder if the NBA's success with Christmas Day games had anything to do with the NFL decision.

The NBA embraced Christmas a game day right from the beginning, with 3 games in 1947 and 5 in 1948.