Hard To Find Info Online

NWebster

Re: Hard To Find Info Online

Post by NWebster »

rhickok1109 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 am
TanksAndSpartans wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:15 am
Throwin_Samoan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)
Ha, Ha - same here. I resisted subscribing for years thinking they were overcharging for something that should be free, but as the actual free sources started drying up, I gave in and now I look at it the same way. I get my money's worth from my subscription.
Why did you think it should be free? Does it occur that the free sources dried up precisely because they were free and therefore non-sustainable?
It's well worth the investment and of course they should charge for it. I agree 1000% with that though I do bemoan that many libraries seem to be getting rid of old microfilm and microfiche. I used to get old SF Chronicles (40's and 50's) on microfilm from the OSU library in the 90's, now it's gone and the librarians - at least those I spoke to, don't know how to get a hold of it. Would be fine were it on Newspapers.com but it's not. So for my purposes - and I'd love if anyone knows a source for that paper - it's gone.

Somewhat related, I'm wondering who some of the lead local writers were for certain teams from the 50's. Art Daley was the Packers guy for the Gazette, John Steadman for the Colts and the Sun, who are some other writer names you'd associate with a specific team/paper from that era? Unfortunately many of my favorite teams) Steelers/Bears just had very poor coverage in the local papers of that era.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

NWebster wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm

It's well worth the investment and of course they should charge for it. I agree 1000% with that though I do bemoan that many libraries seem to be getting rid of old microfilm and microfiche. I used to get old SF Chronicles (40's and 50's) on microfilm from the OSU library in the 90's, now it's gone and the librarians - at least those I spoke to, don't know how to get a hold of it. Would be fine were it on Newspapers.com but it's not. So for my purposes - and I'd love if anyone knows a source for that paper - it's gone.

The San Francisco Chronicle is on www.genealogybank.com
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

rhickok1109 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:18 am
TanksAndSpartans wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:15 am
Throwin_Samoan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)
Ha, Ha - same here. I resisted subscribing for years thinking they were overcharging for something that should be free, but as the actual free sources started drying up, I gave in and now I look at it the same way. I get my money's worth from my subscription.
Why did you think it should be free? Does it occur that the free sources dried up precisely because they were free and therefore non-sustainable?
Judging from the posts, I may be in the minority, but to me access to newspapers seemed like a random thing to wind up being a pay service. I don't think the average person is considering newspapers.com in their entertainment budget - its not like its Netflix or something :). To me, it falls more into the category of access to research and knowledge that serves the public good. The source that I was referring to that dried up was Google News Archive. It was too bad they cancelled the project they were working on. At the time I believed it was going to be really good. I don't know what the business model was for it, but if they were committed to it, I think they could have created something that provided access to a lot of historical newspapers - maybe not ones like New York Times, etc. who have the resources to maintain their own website, but there are plenty that have been out of print for 100 years that I would think they could have digitized without any party protesting. In terms of why it was cancelled, their comments on it were pretty generic.

I actually know someone whose library card provides access to newspapers.com and quite a few other resources. I don't think that's the case for most people though, unfortunately.
Last edited by TanksAndSpartans on Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
argofan87

Post by argofan87 »

Throwin_Samoan wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:45 pm
argofan87 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:28 pm With respect to CFL boxscores, your best bet is, unfortunately, a subscription to a newspaper archive site.
That's not unfortunate! That's some of the best money I spend every year! :)

Here are the 1976 East and West finals, for starters.

It is unfortunate because NFL box scores are easily accessible on Pro-Football-Reference. No equivalent exists for the CFL.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

argofan87 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 pm It is unfortunate because NFL box scores are easily accessible on Pro-Football-Reference. No equivalent exists for the CFL.
I asked Pro Football Reference if they would add the CFL to their site. I think they said no plans now but would consider. I wish they or the CFL itself would do this. I'd like to see all the boxes for the 1960 & 1961 CFL playoff seasons. Actually, the regular seasons too for those years.

RE: Libraries getting rid of microfilm/fiche, that's crazy. That's their MISSION to preserve old records from the past!! Plus... It has monetary value and could be sold for revenue... to just toss it is unconscionable.
Throwin_Samoan

Post by Throwin_Samoan »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:55 am I'd like to see all the boxes for the 1960 & 1961 CFL playoff seasons. Actually, the regular seasons too for those years.
Welp, here's a start. East semifinal (one game) between Montreal and Ottawa, followed by the two game, aggregate West semifinal between Edmonton and Calgary.

Canadian newspapers did a good job of covering things, even then. It's worth getting a subscription. YMMV.

RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Cali_Eagle wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:55 am
argofan87 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:58 pm It is unfortunate because NFL box scores are easily accessible on Pro-Football-Reference. No equivalent exists for the CFL.
I asked Pro Football Reference if they would add the CFL to their site. I think they said no plans now but would consider. I wish they or the CFL itself would do this. I'd like to see all the boxes for the 1960 & 1961 CFL playoff seasons. Actually, the regular seasons too for those years.

RE: Libraries getting rid of microfilm/fiche, that's crazy. That's their MISSION to preserve old records from the past!! Plus... It has monetary value and could be sold for revenue... to just toss it is unconscionable.
I work on documentaries here and there. It's sickening how local TV stations have just tossed their archival footage over the years. Too costly and bothersome to maintain and took up too much space were the usual excuses. Priceless stuff just pitched.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

RichardBak wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:41 pm I work on documentaries here and there. It's sickening how local TV stations have just tossed their archival footage over the years. Too costly and bothersome to maintain and took up too much space were the usual excuses. Priceless stuff just pitched.
yeah, and these days there is such good technology to transfer it ... hi res...

totally with you, just too bad it the technology is so expensive to save what is left and so much is already gone and lost forever