104th season, Week 17 recap

racepug

104th season, Week 17 recap

Post by racepug »

CLE 37 – 20 the NYJ – The Browns, wearing “throw-backs” from their inaugural(?) season, clinch a playoff berth against the already-eliminated Jets.

DAL 20 – 19 DET – in a controversial finish a late 2-pt. try by the Lions is unsuccessful costing them a chance at as high as a #2 seed in the playoffs.

BAL 56 – 19 MIA – the Dolphins show, yet again, that they’re not quite “ready for prime time” in this lopsided road loss.

BUF 27 – 21 N.E. - the Bills avoid being upset by the Patriots for the 2nd time this season and continue their playoff push as a result.

CHI 37 – 17 ATL – despite the loss the Falcons stay in contention for a playoff spot (as do ‘Da Bears,’ for that matter*).

HOU 26 – 3 TEN – the Texans stay in the playoff hunt with this win over the last-place Titans.

Indy 23 – 20 the LVR – the Colts knock the Raiders out of the playoff hunt with this win.

JAX 26 – 0 CAR – the Jaguars end their 4-game losing streak with this lopsided win over the worst team in the league.

the NYG 25 – 26 the LAR – the Rams escape by the skin of their teeth against Los Gigantes de Nueva York in this one.

PHI 31 – 35 ARZ – the Cardinals with the BIG upset on the road over the defending conference champions that may very well end up costing the 'Iggles' the division title.

T.B. 13 – 23 'N'awlins' – the Saints forge a tie with the Buccaneers at the top of the N.F.C. South with this win on the road and can win the division in Week 18 with a win and some help from CAR.

WAS 10 – 27 SFO – the 49ers bounce back after their disappointing loss on Xmas Day with this road win over the Commanders and with the ‘Iggles’’ upset loss to ARZ the 49ers clinch the #1 seed (and first round playoff bye) in the N.F.C.

SEA 23 – 30 PIT – the ‘Stillers’ stay in playoff contention with the win; the Seahawks finish 1 – 3 against the A.F.C. North this season.

DEN 16 – 9 the LAC – despite the win the Broncos are eliminated from the playoff hunt (thanks to wins by K.C. and PIT).

K.C. 25 – 17 CIN – this win gives the Chiefs the A.F.C. West title (for the 8th straight time) and eliminates both the Bengals AND the Broncos from the playoff chase.

MIN 10 – 33 G.B. - The Packers enhance their playoff chances by handing the Vikings their 2nd straight home divisional game loss.

*The Bears were later eliminated from playoff contention by the Packers win over the Vikings
Brian wolf

Re: 104th season, Week 17 recap

Post by Brian wolf »

The Eagles loss today makes the Lions loss even more agonizing as the Lions missed on four potential points last night that could have forced a chance at victory in overtime or an outright win.

Decker was not only confused with Skipper for eligibility but lined up illegally with a receiver I believe ... and they still went for a two-point conversion that failed. I get it -- Campbell was confident in his offense winning the game -- yet with a botched play, why not take it to overtime after an amazin' drive?

Congratulations to Rams, Colts, Texans and Steelers on recent winning seasons.

Eagles lost a tough one. Can Dallas take advantage?

Mayfield and the Bucs should win the South next week against Carolina, who got shut out today after scoring 30 against GB.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I still cant believe the Bears could win 8 games this year and spoil the Packers playoff chances. If they win, they may not try for Williams in the draft after all ... Big If
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:18 pm I still cant believe the Bears could win 8 games this year and spoil the Packers playoff chances. If they win, they may not try for Williams in the draft after all ... Big If
A better choice for Chicago might be Marvin Harrison, Jr. He would give Fields a solid target to compliment DJ Moore. IMO the way Fields has played, I wouldn't go for Caleb Williams.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

They could get Marvin and 3 more first rounders from the pats or commies. Williams has already been crowned the "make us all forget about Trevor Lawrence" guy by the media.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good calls but the Bears still need high end talent on the offensive line. If Chicago keeps Fields, I think the Redskins grab Williams.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not to beat a dead horse but getting back to Fields, the Bears will have to ...

-- Pay him, while building a better pass protection line and going for a playmaker like Harrison Jr ...
--Get rid of him while getting Williams, who will run for his life, while costing a lot less and using some of the money on the line
--Get another veteran QB while using draft and FA capital to build the offensive line and defense, which didnt do very well against GB ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

And here goes the coaching round-about, where Vrabel gets fired before Belichick, Bowles, Carroll or Eberflus. Yes, Bowles still has one more game but you know what I mean ...

I think BB will be back but will give up personnel. The Pats could go for Williams but probably will take Maye, though Harrison Jr. could make any free agent QB look good, even Jimmy G. Would they try for Ben Johnson or another hot playoff coordinator?

I think Vrabel will go to TB when Bowles is fired next tuesday but the SD and Atlanta jobs are appealing. Harbaugh might go to the Raiders but Atlanta has the running game he likes. Maybe he will bring back Kaepernick -- juss kiddin

Ben Johnson might get his chance in Nashville or SD, NE, ATL, especially if the Lions get to the NFC Championship game.

Who the hell will coach in NC and will that person believe in Bryce Young?

The media will go crazy listing all these coaches and general manager candidates with half of em' not having a snowballs' chance in hell. Coaches in the playoffs shouldnt interview until their teams' season ends ... teams wanting them bad enough should have to wait. Strunk for the Titans wasnt even willing to negotiate a trade of Vrabel, thinking the process would take too long ... SMH
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Time for me to eat humble pie ... The Bucs and Comeback Kid, Baker Mayfield, whip the Eagles and end their collapse after a 10-1 start.

Tough year for Philly while Dallas disappoints as well.