Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award

Crazy Packers Fan

Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award

Post by Crazy Packers Fan »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Roze ... sion_Award

This is the hall of fame for NFL announcers and executives. To me, there's one incredibly glaring omission: Greg Gumbel. He was the first black announcer to call a Super Bowl (he called two), he was CBS's #1 announcer for six seasons, their #2 announcer for many others, their pregame/halftime host in other years (and also for NBC), and he was extremely talented and polished. I don't know how he hasn't made it in, especially compared to some of these recent inductees. Joe Buck? That would be like putting Justin Herbert or some other good-but-not-great younger QB into the HOF before Tom Brady.

Anyone you think who deserves to win this award?
Brian wolf

Re: Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award

Post by Brian wolf »

Leslie Visser? Where is Al DeRogatis or Jim Simpson? Simpson was smooth as silk, radio or tv ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Also, no Howard Cosell?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The most glaring omission to me is Harry Kalas. And John Facenda didn't make it until 2021. Facenda was the greatest voice in football. Huge fan of his like everybody else, but I also enjoyed Harry Kalas almost as much. He and Cosell not being in there is kind of ridiculous.

Greg Gumbel is a good choice. Was glad to see Charlie Jones and Don Criqui got their due on this list as well as Bob Trumpy who may have been the most overlooked analyst of his day.

Not sure what the criteria is to win this award - but my prospective list would include:

Bill King, Raiders announcer
Lon Simmons, 49ers announcer
Tom Brookshier
Brent Musburger
Phyllis George
Bob Costas
Nick Bouniconti (only seems natural with Dawson in there, too - both great)
Brad Sham from the Cowboys deserves consideration

I like the thought of DeRogatis also. I don't remember Simpson and can't think of any historical games with him. I also think Pam Oliver deserves some recognition. She's kind of like a player who's just been in the game for so long that they get in the Hall for longevity. I guess she has a health issue and that's why she isn't as effective as she once was but she was very good for a long time. One thing I'll never forget was her doing an interview with Jason Witten before the Cowboys Giants playoff the first year the Giants won the SB with Eli. After it was over she said, "In talking with the Giants, they believe it is their turn." That quote stuck with me through the playoffs as they won - nobody expected that Giants win any playoff game that year and that was great insight.

Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael