2023/24 Super Bowl

racepug

Re: 2023/24 Super Bowl

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:15 am To me, the missed extra point and Jones hitting Purdy before he could throw to a wide open Deebo Samuel in the endzone were the keys to the game. Purdy didnt have any turnovers but couldnt build bigger leads.* That still doesnt mean a frustrated Shanahan wouldnt consider going with Cousins in the offseason. Doubtful though. Purdy had a great year.

*Edited
Maybe Mahomes finds a way to get his Chiefs a TD at the end of regulation and the Chiefs win 20 - 17 instead of having to wait 'til OT to claim their 4th Lombardi (if Moody hadn't missed that PAT). I mean, with Patrick Mahomes just about anything appears to be possible. So maybe, in the end, that missed XP wouldn't have ended up mattering but ever since the conference championship games I thought that the 49ers' PK might BLOW IT for the team from California if the S.B. was close and I was right. He blew several games for the 49ers this season, none bigger than last night's (obviously). Personally, if I were Kyle Shanahan I'd place Jake Moody in the very same place that Kadarius Toney of the Chiefs deserves to be after last night - the unemployment line!
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am Here's my dream match-up for SB 59, now that the media has already decided on the 3-peat story line.....

The Detroit Lions, finally making their first-ever SB appearance, vs the Chiefs, looking to be the first to win 3 straight SB. Might not even need a romance angle.

I still find it odd that only the Packers have won 3 straight championships in the "modern" (since 1933) NFL era. (I know, I know, Browns won 5 straight including 4 in the AAFC, but the NFL doesn't count those.) Hockey, baseball, and basketball all have had several teams win 3 or more championships in a row. I'm thinking Yankees, Canadiens, Celtics. Some pretty long dynasties.
The always forgotten one

1972, 1973, 1974 Oakland Athletics
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call sheajets, I immediately thought about the Athletics, when reading Richard's comment. I not only feel that team was the best three-peat team ever, at least mentally, in baseball, I felt they could have won four or five in a row, had they not been fighting their damn owner as well!
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

sheajets wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:51 pm
RichardBak wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:15 am Here's my dream match-up for SB 59, now that the media has already decided on the 3-peat story line.....

The Detroit Lions, finally making their first-ever SB appearance, vs the Chiefs, looking to be the first to win 3 straight SB. Might not even need a romance angle.

I still find it odd that only the Packers have won 3 straight championships in the "modern" (since 1933) NFL era. (I know, I know, Browns won 5 straight including 4 in the AAFC, but the NFL doesn't count those.) Hockey, baseball, and basketball all have had several teams win 3 or more championships in a row. I'm thinking Yankees, Canadiens, Celtics. Some pretty long dynasties.
The always forgotten one

1972, 1973, 1974 Oakland Athletics
You're right. Sorry. It's probably cuz the A's squeezed past the Tigers in the '72 divisional playoff. (Also the uniforms were ugly and Finley was a jackass. And there was that whole bat-throwing thing with Campy. Jeezus, it still hurts a bit remembering all that now.)
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:56 am Great prediction earlier on the game, 74_75_78_79!
Thanks, Wolf! I should have placed them bets!

And Vegas does it again...O/U was 47.5, total points scored 47!
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Well, early in this thread I did have KC winning by 3 (predicted 34-31) and Mahomes putting together the late winning drive (well, duh, who else--Zeke Bratkowski?). Didn't name the MVP cuz I thought that was self-evident. I mean, how often is the SB MVP not the winning QB?

I would've loved to have seen the Lions against the Chiefs, and I think a lot of the rest of the country would have liked seeing some new faces. Probably would've been the same result, a close loss, butcha never know. Detroit did beat KC in the season opener, though KC was missing a couple key guys.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Hey! ... Zeke Bratkowski had a great 1954 season with Chicago despite nearly a 2/1 interceptions to TDs ratio!

Kelce should have been MVP, his pick plays alone helped decide the game, much less eight catches after halftime ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Actually, right at the end when Kelce was struggling at about the 3 yd line, I was thinking, "Go down, hoss." I thought one of the 4 or 5 guys pounding him was gonna pop the ball loose. SF recovers, game over.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:03 pm Hey! ... Zeke Bratkowski had a great 1954 season with Chicago despite nearly a 2/1 interceptions to TDs ratio!

Kelce should have been MVP, his pick plays alone helped decide the game...
Grrrrrrrr
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

What JuggernautJ? Was I wrong? I like discussion about this game

Watching the replay, the 49ers wasted a golden opportunity not taking advantage of the early 3rd qrt Mahomes interception. Even three points would have put the pressure back on KC. Their 3rd Quarter was terrible ...