1990's Chiefs

7DnBrnc53

1990's Chiefs

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

On another thread, people were talking about the 1960's Chiefs. Another Chiefs era that I would like to discuss is the 1990's, or the Schottenheimer-Carl Peterson era.

In my opinion, those two weren't the right men for the job. The Chiefs needed people that would tear the organization down and rebuild from the ground up. For example, they kept thinking that they were a QB away in the mid-90's, and they weren't. I know that Montana took them to the 93 AFC Title game, but that was a fluke.
racepug

Re: 1990's Chiefs

Post by racepug »

For some reason I've always been a Chiefs fan (or at least I've never had anything against them) and I never liked Marty Schottenheimer. Carl Peterson - I seem to recall hearing about what a good job he did in the USFL - I think for the Baltimore/Philadelphia Stars - and I feel like he did a good job bringing good players to K.C. (after the Chiefs were pretty much irrelevant for 15 to 20 years) but I NEVER liked Marty Schottenheimer. Why not? Because in the playoffs his teams always C-H-O-K-E-D. A-L-W-A-Y-S. I don't know what it was but I got to the point where whenever I saw a M.S.-coached team making the playoffs I just KNEW that it wouldn't get very far. He could turn bad teams into good ones but that was far as it ever got with him.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Peterson and Marty-ball brought the team back to life. They were successful but couldnt beat the Bills or Steelers later. Lots of tough playoff losses in Arrowhead, which continued before Mahomes took over from Alex Smith.

I have been reading about Reid taking over in 2013 and the incredible job he did in his first year, going 11-5 after a disastrous 2-14 season, before. They got Kelce in his first draft but he had an injured knee that rookie season. The team started out 9-0 but the defense came unglued. Of course they blow a 38-10 lead against the Colts with Luck in the playoffs but they were on their way. Its too bad that Jamaal Charles couldnt stay healthy, with 2014 being his last decent season. An exciting runner.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

racepug wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:31 pm For some reason I've always been a Chiefs fan (or at least I've never had anything against them) and I never liked Marty Schottenheimer. Carl Peterson - I seem to recall hearing about what a good job he did in the USFL - I think for the Baltimore/Philadelphia Stars - and I feel like he did a good job bringing good players to K.C. (after the Chiefs were pretty much irrelevant for 15 to 20 years) but I NEVER liked Marty Schottenheimer. Why not? Because in the playoffs his teams always C-H-O-K-E-D. A-L-W-A-Y-S. I don't know what it was but I got to the point where whenever I saw a M.S.-coached team making the playoffs I just KNEW that it wouldn't get very far. He could turn bad teams into good ones but that was far as it ever got with him.
Examples include

The Fumble

Lin Elliott
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Marty went 101-58-1 in KC but he wasn’t the right guy for the job? Ridiculous! He was the right guy for any coaching job that opened up anywhere in the league as he proved in Cleveland and San Diego and would have proven in Washington. Marty didn’t miss the field goals and commit the fumbles that plagued him in his playoff career.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Mahomes never came along, people would have said the same things about Reid, that Marty went through, though Reid at least won an NFC Championship with McNabb. Other than Montana, Marty's best QB was probably Rivers but thanks to Troy Brown stripping McCree of an interception that should have ended that playoff game against NE, we can only wonder if the Chargers could have won it all in 2006? Marty got fired anyway ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Like I detailed in another post awhile back, these were the quarterbacks for teams that beat Martyball in the postseason ...

Marino -- 1985, 90, 94
Elway -- 1986, 87, 97
Moon -- 1988
Kelly -- 1991, 93
Brady -- 2006

All in the HOF but he also lost to QBs, Humphries, Harbaugh and Pennington who had good seasons. Marty made coaching mistakes and his players made mistakes but he still deserves the HOF

Getting back to the Chiefs, the worst mistake Schotty might have made was not making Rich Gannon his starting QB in 1997.
Mark

Post by Mark »

As a Washington fan I still wish Snyder had never fired Schottenheimer. Even if he went 14-2 and lost in the first round as in San Diego that is still preferable to what we got.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The game that angered me the most was the 1995/96 playoff defeat to the Colts in Arrowhead ... Marcus Allen was running the ball easily but the Chiefs continued to throw the ball where Bono had three interceptions. Gannon led the drive where they missed the last second FG, yet Elliott missed two others as well.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:23 pm Like I detailed in another post awhile back, these were the quarterbacks for teams that beat Martyball in the postseason ...

Marino -- 1985, 90, 94
Elway -- 1986, 87, 97
Moon -- 1988
Kelly -- 1991, 93
Brady -- 2006

All in the HOF but he also lost to QBs, Humphries, Harbaugh and Pennington who had good seasons. Marty made coaching mistakes and his players made mistakes but he still deserves the HOF

Getting back to the Chiefs, the worst mistake Schotty might have made was not making Rich Gannon his starting QB in 1997.
Give that Marty Schottenheimer deserves the Hall of Fame in your opinion, does Dan Reeves also make the cut for you?