Best Teams To Miss The Playoffs

CSKreager

Best Teams To Miss The Playoffs

Post by CSKreager »

NFL Throwback's video on the best teams to miss the playoffs got me wondering about any that should be added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxE_gDZmr8

2008 Patriots
2012 Bears
1986 Vikings
1986 Seahawks
2004 Bills
1991 Eagles
1978 Chargers
2010 Chargers
1984 Cardinals
2005 Chiefs
1975 Dolphins
1985 Broncos
2009 Steelers
1989 Redskins
1976 Bengals
1991 49ers

A few teams I'd throw in the mix:

1986 Bengals- Cincinnati beat those aforementioned 86 Seattle/Minnesota teams in back to back weeks. It was the Bengals not the Seahawks that were the ones watching that MNF NE/MIA finale hoping to get in

1975 Oilers- Same 10-4 record as Miami and actually beat them H2H (that famous NFL Films clip of Bum Phillips/Ronnie Coleman after the winning TD). If the 2nd WC of the late 70s had been around, they would have gotten in at the Dolphins expense

2003 Dolphins- #3 scoring defense (fewer points allowed than 2001's playoff year), beat playoff BAL/DAL teams, would have put up a better fight than DEN did at Indy (heck Miami started 5-0 vs Manning's Colts at RCA Dome). Broncos had a better conference record
JuggernautJ

Re: Best Teams To Miss The Playoffs

Post by JuggernautJ »

The playoffs in the 1960's weren't what they are today but probably one of the best teams from any era to miss the post season was the 1967 Baltimore Colts. There aren't a lot of one-loss teams that didn't make it to the playoffs, especially with a league MVP (Unitas) at QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1967/
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

JuggernautJ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm The playoffs in the 1960's weren't what they are today but probably one of the best teams from any era to miss the post season was the 1967 Baltimore Colts. There aren't a lot of one-loss teams that didn't make it to the playoffs, especially with a league MVP (Unitas) at QB.

Being a huge Colts fan then, and Johnny U "my man" for many years as a kid, that '67 season-ender at LA broke my heart. (Of course, hearts of Colts fans really got stomped the following season.)

Anyway, I'll throw in the '62 Lions: 11-3, including famous Turkey Day massacre of St. Vince's Packers, and the 3 losses by a combined 8 points to NY, GB, and Bears. Well, technically, Detroit did make the postseason that year, winning the Playoff Bowl. So, 12-3 under HC George Wilson, with a helluva defense (5 HOFers coached by Don Shula), average offense, above-average special teams. But the '67 Colts were better.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

1963 Packers 11-2-1. Both looses to the eventual champion Bears. Hornung was out but Tom Moore had a hecka of a season as his replacement.
SeahawkFever

Post by SeahawkFever »

JuggernautJ wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:29 pm The playoffs in the 1960's weren't what they are today but probably one of the best teams from any era to miss the post season was the 1967 Baltimore Colts. There aren't a lot of one-loss teams that didn't make it to the playoffs, especially with a league MVP (Unitas) at QB.

Another 1960's team that deserves mention in my opinion is the 1965 Bears. Rookie Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus, as well as a solid qurterback season from Rudy Bukich at least by passing stats.

Sayers and Butkus never played in the playoffs in their careers, and bad quarterback play was likely a huge reason why, but in their rookie year, they just had the misfortune of being in the same division as Green Bay as opposed to their quarterback play.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The 67' Colts were the top team, but the 77' Bengals just missed as well. After whipping the Steelers, they had the division if they could beat the Oilers the final weekend but Houston got to Anderson with their pass rush that day and won, giving Phillips another winning season.
CSKreager

Post by CSKreager »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm The 67' Colts were the top team, but the 77' Bengals just missed as well. After whipping the Steelers, they had the division if they could beat the Oilers the final weekend but Houston got to Anderson with their pass rush that day and won, giving Phillips another winning season.
Not as good as the 76 version and even with a 2nd WC, 10-4 Miami would have gotten the nod over them.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With a chance to win the division, the 76' Bengals blew both games against the Steelers. They also could have beaten the Raiders to win the Central but lost.

At least they beat the Steelers in late 1977. They may have overlooked the Oilers or simply had a letdown ... these losses, as well as a 75' late season loss against the Steelers, may be the reason Ken Anderson hasn't been elected to the HOF, but if the three-senior nominations continue, he may still get his chance.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

I love to cite teams from the old days, but in this case I don't think teams from 1965 and earlier should be considered, because "making the playoffs" back then meant playing in the championship game, and that's not the same thing.

I do think the 1967 Colts belong on this list, and almost certainly at the top, because by then the NFL had broken into four divisions and all four division winners made the playoffs, so it's a reasonably comparable system.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

CSKreager wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:00 pm
1975 Oilers- Same 10-4 record as Miami and actually beat them H2H (that famous NFL Films clip of Bum Phillips/Ronnie Coleman after the winning TD). If the 2nd WC of the late 70s had been around, they would have gotten in at the Dolphins expense
Playing the the Steelers' and Bengals' division, too