The best Buck Shaw HC'd squad?

74_75_78_79_

The best Buck Shaw HC'd squad?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The first of the obvious candidates I'll mention is his actual NFL World Championship with Philly in 1960. But being that GB was still a year away - already a pretty good team, but they got to the LCG basically by default - Buck's '48 & '49 SF teams may actually be stronger considering the obvious greater obstacle(s) that were in the way. But maybe not. The '60 Eagles are not widely considered among the strongest champions of all-time, but finishing at 10-2 (and beating Vince for all-the-marbles IS beating Vince for all-the-marbles), they are nowhere near the other end of the spectrum either; at least not with me the more time goes on.

Which now leaves us to my fourth candidate, a dark-horse. Not the 'winner' but at least a worthy mention and that's the '53 Forty Niners! 9-3, finished 2nd to Detroit by a single game; and got swept by the Lions. Their other loss was to...the Browns. All three losses by a combined NINE points! A bit precursory to the 1992 Saints. But a 'win is a win, loss is a loss' so the other three already mentioned should be considered the only three true candidates here.

Thoughts?
Brian wolf

Re: The best Buck Shaw HC'd squad?

Post by Brian wolf »

It has to be the 1960 squad because they won it all. The 53' squad might have been more talented but not tougher. The 48' team couldn't beat out Cleveland for the division title but at least they got to play for a championship in 1949.
Sonny9

Re: The best Buck Shaw HC'd squad?

Post by Sonny9 »

I'm going with 1948. 3663 yards rushing. 247 point differential and they themselves almost went undefeated. Losing to Cleveland by 7 and 3 (2-6 vs Cleveland in the AAFC 4 regular seasons and 5 of the losses were by 7 or less)