1991-92 World League

Dusty Sloan

1991-92 World League

Post by Dusty Sloan »

Good morning, everyone!

I continue to work on compiling information on the 1991-92 World League of American Football.

If anyone has game films, press releases and/or game books from those seasons, please reach out! I am attempting to correct the record on certain things, mostly incorrect stats, in-season transactions and in-season uniform number changes.

Thanks so much!
Reaser

Re: 1991-92 World League

Post by Reaser »

Are you still going to put together a 1992 WLAF packet like you did for the 1991 season?

Very much interested in that.

I presume you have the same games as I do, essentially complete collection of what's available -- I recorded (VHS) games myself at the time (1992) but I've seen those same games "out there" anyway.
Dusty Sloan

Post by Dusty Sloan »

That's the plan, yes!

1992 is harder than 1991 because there was no 1993 record and fact book to go off of. Need those game books and other items to look at to cross-reference what I have...
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I didn't follow this at all when it was around. I guess ESPN aired the games. A pretty strange divisional alignment set-up those two seasons were. A three-team division, yet alone two of them, is always way too small. Being that teams didn't exactly play everyone in their divisions twice anyway, the league either should have been a single-body (no divisions at all) with everyone playing everyone once and the top-two play in the WB, or one 5-team division and one 6-team division. In that latter case, I guess group the three European teams with NY/NJ and Montreal, and group the remaining five in the other division. Winner of one division plays the winner of the other division in the WB. As for the regular season with these two - yes, uneven, divisions - figure out some formula in which every team at least plays against most of the teams in their division twice.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:40 am I didn't follow this at all when it was around. I guess ESPN aired the games. A pretty strange divisional alignment set-up those two seasons were. A three-team division, yet alone two of them, is always way too small. Being that teams didn't exactly play everyone in their divisions twice anyway, the league either should have been a single-body (no divisions at all) with everyone playing everyone once and the top-two play in the WB, or one 5-team division and one 6-team division. In that latter case, I guess group the three European teams with NY/NJ and Montreal, and group the remaining five in the other division. Winner of one division plays the winner of the other division in the WB. As for the regular season with these two - yes, uneven, divisions - figure out some formula in which every team at least plays against most of the teams in their division twice.
Not ESPN, games were on USA Network and ABC.

1991: Everyone played everyone once and one team twice for 10 games.
1992: Two of the three divisions played normal division schedule (2 v. each) but the NA East schedule was a mess.

Playoff format was still better than the split-season that was used when the league 'returned' in '95.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Dusty Sloan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am I continue to work on compiling information on the 1991-92 World League of American Football.

If anyone has game films, press releases and/or game books from those seasons, please reach out! I am attempting to correct the record on certain things, mostly incorrect stats, in-season transactions and in-season uniform number changes.
This sounds like you have the official year-end stats for those two seasons, since you're looking for mistakes that can be corrected. In case I'm reading that wrong and you're also looking for the official stats, I do have the year-end stats for 1991 and '92 if you need them.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Dusty Sloan wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:29 am Good morning, everyone!

I continue to work on compiling information on the 1991-92 World League of American Football.

Thanks so much!
1991-92 Surge was interesting team -- John Nies was on MTV's "The Real World". Jack Younbglood was an exec and did radio color commentary. Louis Riddick on the team. Wrestler Goldberg, Mike "The Tackle" Jones, future NFL Pro Bowler Micheal Sinclair ... also others interesting players.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Reaser wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 1:15 pm
74_75_78_79_ wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:40 am I didn't follow this at all when it was around. I guess ESPN aired the games. A pretty strange divisional alignment set-up those two seasons were. A three-team division, yet alone two of them, is always way too small. Being that teams didn't exactly play everyone in their divisions twice anyway, the league either should have been a single-body (no divisions at all) with everyone playing everyone once and the top-two play in the WB, or one 5-team division and one 6-team division. In that latter case, I guess group the three European teams with NY/NJ and Montreal, and group the remaining five in the other division. Winner of one division plays the winner of the other division in the WB. As for the regular season with these two - yes, uneven, divisions - figure out some formula in which every team at least plays against most of the teams in their division twice.
Not ESPN, games were on USA Network and ABC.

1991: Everyone played everyone once and one team twice for 10 games.
1992: Two of the three divisions played normal division schedule (2 v. each) but the NA East schedule was a mess.

Playoff format was still better than the split-season that was used when the league 'returned' in '95.
Yeah, that split thing was weird and senseless. Reminiscent of the '81 MLB strike playoff format!

Once it got.."normal", but still the 6-team, no-divisions, everyone playing each other twice, top-2 play for the title seemed paletable.

And NO TIE-BREAKER for 2nd?? Ouch!! Ask '98 Amsterdam and '99 Rhein! Brutal!! But that's the way it went!

Though I admittedly, and regrettably, didn't follow it at the time, I wish NFL Europe would have stayed! Sure-enough I would have started following by now and PICK a team to root for (Barcelona Dragons may have been it). Just the simple European cities each fielding a franchise. Imagining being a player killing two birds with a stone - trying to get into the NFL whilst enjoying some overseas living, travel, and exploration!

Two divisions with at least four teams each, both winners play for the title but as the case with the pre-SB NFL, let there be tie-breakers, at least, for those division titles - even if more-than-two (add yet another extra week, if necessary) as what famously almost DID happen in 1957!

Get an Ireland franchise in there! I believe the Rooneys are trying to drum-up even-more NFL-interest there! The Dublin Brewers! Guinness Stadium, perhaps! Their colours could be whatever the exact shade-of-black the Guinness Beer is and whatever the exact colour of its...Head! A capital 'D' on the helmet shaped like a stein handle! The helmet would be the colour of the Head, the 'D' and single stripe and BIG number(s) on each side of the single stripe (NYG, Tarkenton era style) would be the colour of the Guinness Beer itself!

Yes, that'd be my favourite team then! Especially if the Rooneys had to do with it!

The Roma Emperors? And how about Paris? Does France have a significant-enough NFL following? Wales (Cardiff Orcas)?

If they bring it back, and a super-low %-age of playoff teams (anti-CFL), I think I'd buy in!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Get an Ireland franchise in there! I believe the Rooneys are trying to drum-up even-more NFL-interest there! The Dublin Brewers! Guinness Stadium, perhaps! Their colours could be whatever the exact shade-of-black the Guinness Beer is and whatever the exact colour of its...Head! A capital 'D' on the helmet shaped like a stein handle! The helmet would be the colour of the Head, the 'D' and single stripe and BIG number(s) on each side of the single stripe (NYG, Tarkenton era style) would be the colour of the Guinness Beer itself!
This entire paragraph made me smile. :) (also insert hand clap emoji)
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JohnTurney wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:47 pm1991-92 Surge was interesting team -- John Nies was on MTV's "The Real World". Jack Younbglood was an exec and did radio color commentary. Louis Riddick on the team. Wrestler Goldberg, Mike "The Tackle" Jones, future NFL Pro Bowler Micheal Sinclair ... also others interesting players.
Riddick had a huge pick-six in the semifinal against the Dragons.

And yup! Very interesting team. Jim Haslett on the staff both years/DC in '92. Mike Pringle CFL all-time leading rusher was on the '92 team. One of the million receivers named Eddie Brown in that era was on '92 team, and as stated, also other interesting players